Contractual deadlines for notice of non-reappointment/non-renewal for exempt staff and non-tenured faculty must be submitted prior to the deadlines listed below. If you are considering non-reappointment/non-renewal, it is important to carefully read FSH 3900 and submit the required documents to HR or Provost/EVP’s Office on or before the submission deadline noted in red* to allow time for review and delivery by the Deadline for Delivery date.
Deadlines and notice requirements
Policy: (FSH 3900B-1)
Amount of notice employee is entitled to by policy:
At least 60 days before the end of the existing period of employment (Based on the June 24, 2023 contract period end date).
*Deadline for submitting materials (checklist and support documents) to HR or Provost/EVP offices:
Feb. 10, 2023
Deadline for Delivery of Notice (Letter from the President):
April 21, 2023
See the Provost's website for faculty deadlines.
The process for decisions of non-renewal is as follows:
- Supervisor completes the nonrenewal checklist and forwards to dean/unit administrator(s).
- The dean’s or unit administrator's office sends the completed checklist with attachments (list of attachments/required documentation will be provided by Human Resources/Provost as applicable) to:
- Human Resources: email@example.com (for exempt staff)
- Provost/EVP’s office: firstname.lastname@example.org (for non-tenured faculty)
- HR or Provost/EVP forwards the request to the President for final determination and notice generation following the internal process review.
- President’s Office informs the unit when formal notification documents are ready for pick-up. The supervisor can then deliver the notice to the employee.
You are encouraged to consult with Human Resources (email@example.com or 208-885-3638) or the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President (firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-885-6444), if uncertain about policy interpretation in a specific situation. If you have any non-renewals pending, please send the requests and completed checklist to the appropriate office by the dates noted above in order to allow for timely handling.
*If a unique situation occurs after the date noted in red please contact the appropriate submission office immediately to determine the course of action.