How to Enroll in Benefits
You are eligible for benefits if you work half-time or more in a faculty, exempt, classified or postdoctoral position.
As a new benefit-eligible employee, you will receive an email when the myBenefits portal is open for you to select your benefits. You will have 30 days from your first day of work to enroll in benefits and provide required documentation.
Where do I start?
When can I enroll?
- You will receive an email at your U of I employee address when your myBenefits portal opens, which is usually within two weeks of your first day of work.
- You will have 30 days from your first day of work to complete your enrollment and provide required documentation.
How do I enroll?
Once you have received your email notification:
- Log in to VandalWeb.
- Select the Employees tab and then select myBenefits. You will be re-directed to the myBenefits portal landing page.
- Click on New Hire.
- Add each dependent who will be covered on your benefits plan (medical, dental, vision, and/or life insurance).
- Make your benefit elections for each benefit type (health, spending account, life, etc.). Use the Recalculate button at any time to see your PER PAY contribution amount.
- Complete your beneficiary designation for your basic life coverage.
- To complete the enrollment process, select Finalize and print a copy of the confirmation page for your records.
- Return to the myBenefits portal landing page and click on View/Upload Required Documents. Upload any required documentation.
- Submit Evidence of Insurability to The Standard if needed. This is only required for certain life insurance elections.
What if I don't want to enroll in U of I Health coverage?
- You must still complete the benefit enrollment process and select waived coverage. Proof of other coverage is required and must be uploaded within 30 days. If your current coverage is through an existing U of I employee, please email Benefit Services for assistance with your proof of other coverage.
Who can I enroll on my coverage?
- You can enroll your spouse, children, or other eligible adult. See full information on eligibility.
What documentation will I need to provide?
- Learn more about required documentation.
What if I don't make benefit elections before the deadline?
- If you don't enroll in benefits and submit all required documentation within 30 days, you will be automatically placed in default coverage and will be unable to make changes until the next Annual Enrollment (unless you experience a qualified life event). Default coverage includes:
|Full-time||Half-time and 3/4-time|
|Medical||High Deductible Health Plan - employee only||Waived|
|Dental||Standard Dental - employee only||Waived|
|Vision||VSP - employee only||Waived|
|Life Insurance||1x salary (base from employer) not to exceed $500,000||1x salary (base from employer) not to exceed $500,000|
|Short-term Disability||50% coverage (base from employer)||50% coverage (base from employer)|
|Long-term Disability||50% coverage (base from employer)||50% coverage (base from employer)|
When does my coverage start?
- Your coverage is effective on the first day of the month after you start working. If you begin on the first day of the month, your coverage begins that day.
Will I receive insurance cards?
- You will receive insurance cards from Blue Cross of Idaho, Delta Dental and CVS Caremark (prescription drug coverage) approximately two weeks after enrolling in benefits. VSP (vision coverage) and Willamette Dental do not send insurance cards.
How do I access care if my insurance does not provide cards or if my cards haven't arrived yet?
- Providers will confirm your coverage by asking for certain information, usually your name, date of birth and social security number. Please review more information about accessing employee benefits.