Employee Assistance Program
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a free, confidential service that provides eligible employees and their families with the opportunity to discuss personal problems with a professional counselor, receive unlimited telephone and Internet access to resource and referral information and obtain other self-help information.
You do not have to enroll in a medical plan to participate in the EAP. However, if you are enrolled in a medical plan, you may be able to maximize your benefits by accessing the free services of the EAP before using behavioral health benefits, which require you to pay a share of the cost.
Emergency Crisis is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling 1-800-999-1077, use company code: UI1
Access EAP services (including counseling referrals) by calling 1-800-999-1077, use company code: UI1
For self-help information, and a directory of providers of services other than counseling, see EAPHelplink.com
View the summary of all EAP Services for additional information.
- Be enrolled in a medical insurance plan to qualify for the 8 free sessions per incident. UI’s health plans cover this.
- Access The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) 24/7 by calling KEPRO at 1-800-999-1077. They will get you a referral to a counselor at no cost. You’ll want a pen and paper ready to write down the referral information.
- On the call, they’ll ask for your name and other basic information, including why you are seeking counseling. They follow the same confidentiality on the call as licensed counselors and you can be brief. You can also let them know if you have counselor preferences such as time of day they are available, or gender. Some counselors can do virtual meeting sessions, so if you are interested in Telehealth, be sure to mention this. Telehealth can widen the availability of counselors because they don't have to be local.
- Let them know you work for the University of Idaho so they can use our code, UI1.
- They’ll refer you to at least one name and number of a counselor. Write down that information along with the short code they will provide. You’ll either need to provide that code to the counselor, or KEPRO will get the counselor the code directly, so that you won’t be charged for the counseling sessions.
- Call the referral(s) and schedule an appointment. Sometimes the counselor’s schedule is full and they aren’t taking clients. If that’s the case, call KEPRO again and get more referrals.
- Show up to your appointment (whether in person or telehealth) and provide the code from KEPRO, if KEPRO did not already provide it directly to your counselor. You’ll work with your counselor to setup an appointment schedule for the 8 sessions.
- Billing happens automatically without any paperwork for the employee, and you will not be charged for your 8 sessions.
- If you want to continue past 8 sessions, you may use your insurance and be charged. You can talk with your counselor about what the fee structure is.
Up to eight (8) counseling sessions are available for issues affecting employees and their dependents. Individuals may speak with a professional counselor by phone, and the Employee Assistance Program will provide a referral to see a local counselor at no cost for issues such as:
- Anxiety and stress
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Transition and change
- Relationships – individual, marital and family
This service takes the legwork out of provider searches. It gives you access to the expertise of WorkLife consultants as well as web access to thousands of practical, up-to-date articles, calculators, links, interactive planners and self-assessments for the following:
- Childcare and Parenting
- Daily Living
- Adult Care and Education
Please refer to the summary of WorkLife Consultation and Referral Services for additional information.
Family problems and daily living issues often include financial or legal components which can be stressful, costly and often result in lost work time. EAP provides up to 30 minutes of legal consultation with an attorney or financial counselor at no cost or obligation for the following:
- Civil/Consumer Issues
- Personal/Family Legal Services
- Business Legal Services
- IRS Matters
- Real Estate
- Credit/Debit Services
- Estate Planning
- Financial Planning
View the summary of Legal - Financial Services for additional information.
EAP offers a wide variety of no cost seminars for university employees related to the following:
- Basics of Budgeting
- Dealing with Office Politics
- Leadership Skills for Women
- Basics of Effective Communication
- Valuing Diversity
- Leading Effective Meetings
- Dealing with Difficult People
- Coping with Criticism
- Conflict Intervention
- The Art of Listening
- Bullying: Confronting Hostility in the Workplace