Qualifying Life Events
After enrolling for benefits when you're first eligible, you can change your coverage every year during Annual Enrollment. You can also make mid-year changes to your benefits if you experience a qualifying life event.
Life events are extremely time sensitive —please act quickly. For the birth or adoption of a child, you have 60 days to add the child to your plan. For all other life events, you have 30 days to make changes to your benefits. Note that you cannot begin changes until the date of the life event.
Qualifying life events include:
- Marriage, divorce, annulment or legal separation
- Birth or adoption of a child, gaining a foster child or stepchild, or issuance of court order requiring you to provide coverage for a child
- Death of a spouse or dependent
- Loss of your or a dependent's coverage under a non-University of Idaho health plan
- Change your spouse's employment that results in the loss or gain of coverage through their employer
- Change in your employment status, such as moving from half-time to full-time or returning from unpaid leave
- You become eligible for Medicare
How to make mid-year updates to your coverage
If you experience a qualifying life event, please log in to VandalWeb, open the myBenefits portal and select the appropriate life event. You will then be able to make the changes in your profile. Please make sure you upload any required documentation, such as copies of birth or marriage certificates.