University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

How to Enroll in ACA Coverage

You are eligible for ACA coverage if you are a temporary employee working at least 30 hours per week or a temporary faculty member teaching at least 11 credits per semester.

As a new ACA coverage-eligible employee, you will receive an email notification when the myBenefits portal is open for you to select your benefits. You will have 30 days from your first date of work to enroll in benefits and provide required documentation.

What coverage is available?

ACA coverage is limited to medical and prescription drug only. You may select between the Standard PPO and the High Deductible Plan. Dental and vision coverage are not included.

Who can I enroll on my coverage?

Coverage is only available for you and your dependent children. You will be required to submit documentation for any dependent children. If you do not submit documentation within 30 days of your first day of work, any children listed will not be added to your coverage.

Your spouse or other eligible adult are not eligible for ACA coverage.

How much will coverage cost?

ACA coverage is not subsidized by U of I, meaning you are responsible for the full cost. The cost will depend on the medical plan you select and whether you enroll dependent children. Current costs are listed below:

2024 rates PER PAY PERIOD

  Standard PPO High Deductible Health Plan
Employee Only $397.82 $343.04
Employee and Child $556.96 $480.26
Employee and Children $843.38 $727.26

When can I enroll?

  • You will receive an email at your U of I employee address when your myBenefits portal opens, which is usually within two weeks of your first day of work.
  • You will have 30 days from your first day of work to complete your enrollment and provide required documentation.

How do I enroll?

Once you have received your email notification:

  1. Log in to VandalWeb.
  2. Select the Employees tab and then select myBenefits. You will be re-directed to the myBenefits portal landing page.
  3. Click on New Hire.
  4. Add each dependent child who will be covered on your medical plan.
  5. Make your benefit elections for medical and prescription drug insurance. Use the Recalculate button at any time to see your PER PAY contribution amount.
  6. To complete the enrollment process, select Finalize and print a copy of the confirmation page for your records.
  7. Return to the myBenefits portal landing page and click on View/Upload Required Documents. Upload any required documentation.

What if I don't want to enroll in ACA coverage?

  • No action is necessary. If you do not enroll in benefits, you will automatically waive coverage.

What if I don't make benefit elections before the deadline?

  • If you do not enroll in benefits and submit all required documentation within 30 days, you will automatically waive coverage.

Physical Address:
415 West 6th Street
Moscow, ID 83844-4332 

Mailing Address:

875 Perimeter Drive MS 4332
Moscow, ID 83844-4332

Summer Hours:
Monday - Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Academic Year Hours:
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Phone: 208-885-3697

Fax: 208-885-3330