Flexible Work Arrangements
Employees should apply for a flexible work (flexwork) arrangement when requesting to work remotely and/or to work something other than their regularly scheduled hours for longer than two weeks.
- Although exempt staff have some flexibility already, they should still have a flexwork arrangement for significant schedule changes lasting longer than two weeks.
- Faculty need a flexwork arrangement only for changes that affect their teaching responsibilities. Research and service activities are assumed to be performed on a flexible schedule without any formal arrangement, as this is the nature of faculty appointments.
- Graduate Assistants can apply for flexwork. Note that an approved agreement applies only to their work responsibilities; it does not impact their student schedule or expectations.
An employee can request flexwork for up to six months at a time. If approved, the arrangement will be reviewed when it expires and the employee will have the opportunity to request a renewal.
A flexwork arrangement is NOT required:
- If the request is for less than two weeks. Direct supervisors can approve flexible hours/remote work for up to two weeks at their discretion.
- If a position is permanently remote or located outside of a U of I location (for example, an out-of-state recruiter position).
- For faculty to conduct research, grade papers, etc. from locations other than their primary office.
- Please review the flexwork FAQs for more information about out-of-state or international requests.
Please note: If you are considering a flexwork arrangement for medical reasons (either your own or those of a family member), you may benefit from applying for Family and Medical Leave instead of or in addition to flexwork.
- Submit the flexible work arrangement request form.
- HR will review the form and confirm that a flexwork arrangement is required in your situation. If so, you will be asked to provide additional details.
- Your application will be reviewed by your supervisor and unit/university leadership as appropriate.
- HR will notify you and your supervisor once your request has been approved or denied.
- Please note: while Human Resources facilitates the flexwork process, they do not approve or deny your request. Approval authority rests with the Vice President, Provost or President, depending on your unit’s reporting line.
- The employee will begin the process by filling out the flexible work arrangement form.
- HR will review the form to make sure the flexwork process is required. If so, the application will be forwarded to you. You will be asked to add information about how your unit will be affected by the request and to approve or deny the request.
- If you approve the request, you will forward the application on unit/university leadership for consideration.
- HR will notify both you and the employee once the application has been approved or denied.
- Please note: While Human Resources facilitates the flexwork process, they do not approve or deny the request. Approval authority rests with the Vice President, Provost or President, depending on your unit’s reporting line.
- Flexible Work Arrangement Request
- Supervisor and Leadership Resources for Discretionary Flexwork pdf
- Out of State Flex Work Assessment pdf
- Flex Work FAQs pdf