Annual Performance Evaluations
This page contains information on conducting staff performance evaluations. For faculty performance evaluations, please refer to the Provost’s Office.
Annual performance evaluations are due each spring (usually in March) for the preceding calendar year (Jan. 1 – Dec. 31). The next deadline is March 1, 2024, for the 2023 evaluation year.
- Fill out a Staff Evaluation form for each staff member. Refer to the form instructions for detailed guidance.
- Optional Employee Evaluation Input Forms are available for download. The supervisor may choose to have the employee complete one prior to the evaluation. Please note that these forms are only informal conversation starters. They should not be attached to the completed performance evaluation or become a permanent part of the employee’s record.
- If the employee is rated Needs Improvement, submit the evaluation form for a second-level review. The second-level reviewer is usually the next-level supervisor, but check with your unit leadership for specific practices. If the employee is rated Meets/Exceeds Expectations, second-level review is optional.
- Meet with the employee to review their evaluation. This is a good opportunity to discuss any concerns and set performance goals for the next year.
- Have the employee sign the form and add any comments they may wish to. Submit the completed evaluation to Human Resources for inclusion in the employee’s personnel file.
If you have any questions about performance evaluations, please contact your HR Business Partner at email@example.com or 208-885-3638.
Evaluations are due to Human Resources on March 1, 2024, for the 2023 evaluation cycle.
Evaluations are for the recently completed calendar year, Jan. 1 – Dec. 31. All review and comments should only address the employee’s performance during this period.
It depends on the timing of the three- and/or six-month evaluation:
- If a three-month evaluation was completed and the six-month evaluation was not, complete a six-month evaluation on schedule. An annual evaluation is not needed at this time.
- If the six-month evaluation was completed prior to November, complete an annual evaluation to encompass the last several months of the evaluation period.
- If the six-month evaluation was completed after November, an annual evaluation is not needed at this time.
Policy does require annual evaluations for staff employees even in these circumstances. A review can be important if the employee later returns to the university or seeks employment elsewhere. Also, if the employee’s last day with the university is after the date that any CEC increase would be effective, it is in the employee’s best interest to complete an evaluation so they are eligible for any performance-related increase.
If the employee was employed by the first department during the entire evaluation period, the previous supervisor should complete the evaluation. Otherwise, the best option is for the current and previous supervisors to collaborate and complete the evaluation jointly.
If an employee has a dual reporting line, the supervisors collaborate on the annual evaluation. If you have questions about conducting a dual evaluation, please contact your HR Business Partner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-885-3638.
Please submit an electronic (PDF) copy of the signed employee evaluation through the established Department-HR folder on the shared drive. The person designated in your department to place the evaluations in the shared folder can provide information on how to submit the PDF within your unit.