Phone: 208-885-6111
Toll-free: 88-88-UIDAHO
Fax: 208-885-9119
Student Union Building
875 Perimeter Drive MS 4264
Moscow, ID 83844-4264


Phone: 208-334-2999
Fax: 208-364-4035
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702


Coeur d'Alene

Phone: 208-667-2588
Toll-free: 888-208-2268
Fax: 208-664-1272
1031 N. Academic Way,
Suite 242
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814


Idaho Falls

Phone: 208-282-7900
Fax: 208-282-7929
1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, ID 83402



  • Who is required to submit a disclosure form?
    PIs and all co-PIs on the project must fill out a disclosure form.  Additionally, anyone that the PI identifies as falling under the category of "investigator" must fill out the form.  The term investigator means anyone participating in the project who assumes independent responsibility in the project's design, conduct, analysis or reporting of research.
  • Are there other requirements besides completing the disclosure form?
    Yes.  For all investigators either participating in or proposed to participate a PHS-funded project there is a mandatory training that must be completed.  Please view the Training link at left for more information.
  • What is a Significant Financial Interest or SFI?
    Details for what constitutes an SFI are available on the disclosure form and include both remuneration (e.g. consulting fees, honoraria, paid authorship), equity interests (e.g. stock, stock options or other ownership interests), intellectual property rights (e.g. patents and copyrights) or sponsored/reimbursed travel received from an external entity.
  • Is ALL travel disclosable?

    Disclosure of travel is only required by certain external sponsors as follows:

    If you are participating in research funded by PHS entities:

    According to PHS regulations, the occurrence of any travel paid by a third party related to the investigator's institutional responsibilities is considered a significant financial interest and is disclosable. 

    Third party paid travel means:

    • Third party directly pays in whole or in part for travel on your behalf
    • You pay for travel and third party reimburses you in whole or in part
    • University of Idaho (UI) pays in whole or in part for travel and the third party reimburses UI

    PHS regulations require you to disclose travel paid by:

    • External professional organizations and societies;
    • Academic journals and publishing companies; and
    • ANY travel reimbursed or sponsored by a foreign institution of higher education or the government of another country.

    PHS regulations consider travel paid by the following types of entities to be non-disclosable:

    • Paid by UI or funded by a sponsored award to UI;
    • U.S. Federal, state or local government agencies;
    • U.S. Institutions of higher education or U.S. research institutes; and
    • U.S. academic teaching hospitals or U.S. medical centers that are affiliated with U.S. Institutions of higher education.

    If you are participating in research funded by NSF:

    You are not required to disclose travel expenses.

    You are required to disclose travel paid by:

    • External professional organizations and societies;
    • Academic journals and publishing companies; and
    • ANY travel reimbursed or sponsored by a foreign Institution of higher education or the government of another country.
  • What information is required on my disclosure of sponsored or reimbursed travel?

    At a minimum you should disclose the following information on you travel disclosure:

    • The purpose of the trip
    • The identity of the sponsor/organizer
    • The destination
    • The duration

    Additional information may requested as needed in order to determine whether the travel constitutes a Financial Conflict of Interest with the PHS-funded research.

  • What are the PHS agencies?
    The largest PHS entity, with many sub-entities, is the National Institutes of Health (NIH).  The following additional entities also fall under the Public Health Service (effective 2/14): 

    • Office of Global Affairs (OG)
    • Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health (OASH)
    • Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR)
    • Agency for Health Care Research & Quality (AHRQ)
    • Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
    • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
    • Food and Drub Administration (FDA)
    • Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
    • Indian Health Service (IHS)
    • National Institutes of Health (NIH)
    • Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
    Additionally,  many other entities have elected to use the PHS FCOI regulations.  For a full and updated list please click here.
  • When do I have to submit my disclosure form?
    • Investigators on an existing PHS-funded project must submit a disclosure form annually, whether or not there are any changes to report.  The form should include any previously reported SFIs.
    • Investigators on a proposed PHS-funded project must submit a disclosure form prior to submission of the proposal to the sponsor.  Note that this includes not only UI investigators, but also subrecipient and/or collaborator investigators.
    • Investigators who discover or acquire a new SFI must submit a new disclosure form within 30 days or discovery or acquisition.

    All required disclosures shall be submitted to UI through the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) using the disclosure forms made available by OSP and approved by the VP for Research and Economic Development.


  • What if I am uncertain whether or not I need to disclose a particular outside activity or financial relationship?

    If, after reading the questions on the disclosure form, you are unsure as to whether or not an outside activity/financial interest should be reported, then you should err on the side of caution and disclose the information. If an issue should arise in the future, having reported the activity/relationship offers some protection to you and the University in terms of how the matter is perceived by others. Failure to report an activity/relationship may be misinterpreted as a desire to hide the activity.

  • If I don't have any outside activities or external financial interest why do I have to submit a disclosure form?
    Regulation and policy require that the University have disclosure forms on file for all investigators, whether or not they have a significant financial interest to report.
  • Where can I go to get more information?
    In addition to the information contained on the OSP website, NIH has published an extensive list of FAQs.  Please click here to be taken to their FAQ site.