University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Foreign Interests in Academic Research - General Guidance

The federal government has expressed concerns about foreign threats to and exploitation of federally funded research. Federal sponsors are now developing guidance to address these issues. The Office of Research Assurances has included below general guidance for your consideration. For specific questions, you may contact ORA or sign up for a live undue foreign influence course.

Prohibition on Malign Foreign Talent Recruitment Programs

The federal government prohibits a "Covered Individual" from participating in a malign foreign talent recruitment program. The Department of Defense published a list of institutions and programs that qualify as Malign Foreign Talent Recruitment Programs (scroll down to "DoD Research Security Resources" and select "Fiscal Year 2022 Lists Published in Response to Section 1286 of the John S. McCain National Defense Authorization Act...").  

Review the "Malign Foreign Talent Recruitment Programs FAQ" page for more information. 

Current and Pending or Other Support

Federal sponsors require that researchers maintain documentation. This documentation must include all support, including foreign support. Foreign support includes fellowships and scholarships. “Other Support” also includes visiting scholars, even if unpaid, who participate in project research. And all project personnel, even unpaid visiting scholars, must be reported on project progress reports. Moreover, if a visiting scholar qualifies as “Senior/Key Personnel,” that scholar must comply with related federal requirements, such as submitting a bio-sketch and identifying other support.

Financial Interests from Foreign Entities

Any financial interest received from a foreign institution of higher education or the government of another country must be disclosed in Veras as a significant financial interest, per NSF and NIH policy. This disclosure is only required for university employees who are investigators on certain research projects. Review FSH 5600 or the Significant Financial Interests FAQ for more information. 

Professional Consulting and Additional Workload

Approval for consulting and additional workload, including that offered by foreign institutions and other foreign entities must be approved as directed in FSH 3260. Any conflicts that may arise therefrom must be managed as provided in FSH 6240, FSH 5600, and FSH 5650.

Anonymous Compliance Hotline

Reportable activities of special concern are fraud, conflicts of interest, waste and misuse of university resources, as well as harassment and bias incidents that impact the well-being of individuals within our community and our stewardship responsibilities. One can make an anonymous report online or by phone. Visit our Anonymous Compliance Hotline page to find out more about when and how to make a report.

Office of Research Assurances

Physical Address:

Morrill Hall Room 414
Moscow, ID  83844

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Dr., MS 3010
Moscow, ID  83844-3010

Phone: 208-885-2142


Web: ORA Website