Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
About the IACUC
The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) ensures the humane care and use of animals in teaching and research at the University of Idaho by:
- Reviewing requests to use vertebrate animals in teaching, research, and demonstrations
- Reviewing the U of I's animal care program
- Inspecting animal facilities for compliance with animal welfare and occupational health standards
- Providing training to faculty, staff, and students on the humane care and use of vertebrate animals
- Making recommendations to the Vice President for Research and Economic Development regarding the care of experimental animals
- Investigating any concerns raised regarding the care and use of animals within the university
Have questions about VERAS? Visit our FAQ page or contact the IACUC.
Watch this video that provides an overview of the University of Idaho IACUC process on YouTube.
See APM Chapter 45.1 for a detailed description of IACUC functions.
New U of I Emergency Campus Veterinarian Contact Number
For veterinary emergencies involving university owned animals, please use our new contact number, 208-885-1187. To request a veterinary consult, or to report non-emergency animal cases, contact the Campus Veterinarian at 208-885-8958 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
IACUC Electronic System
IACUC has implemented the online system VERAS. All submissions after April 11, 2017 must be done in the VERAS system.
Questions or comments may be directed to the IACUC Coordinator at email@example.com or 208-885-7258.