For Departmental Grant Administrators
Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) staff partner with Departmental Grant Administrators, or DGAs, and faculty members to assist with the administration of sponsored project agreements. As a team, we protect the University of Idaho by maintaining compliance with all applicable federal, state, university and sponsor regulations and policies. The information and links provided on this page have been compiled by OSP to assist DGAs by providing a central location for important resources. If you have suggestions for additional content, or have questions about the content on this page, please contact email@example.com or call 208-885-6651.
This meeting is hosted by OSP and is open to university staff who assist with sponsored project administration. Meetings will be held in IRIC 305 at 1:30 p.m. on the first Monday each month except January and September – those meetings will be held on the second Monday. Zoom calendar invites are available upon request to Sarah Martonick. Agenda items are sent to the DGA listserv each month, prior to the meeting. Please send agenda item suggestions to Sarah Martonick or Ann-Marie Bilderback.
Previous meeting minutes starting February 2017:
- February Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- March Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- April Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- May Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- June Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- August Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- September Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- October Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- November Meeting Zoom File (Login Required)
- December Meeting Family Feud Powerpoint
- January Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- February Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- March Meeting Minutes and Agenda
Director – Deborah N. Shaver – Oversees all units of OSP and gift vs grant determinations. Reports to VPRED. Deb is the University of Idaho Authorized Organizational Representative (AOR).
Associate Director - Heather Nelson (oversees Pre-award and Financial units; IT liaison).
Steve Kirkham, Ann-Marie Bilderback and Suzanne Aaron reviews proposals for external funding. Questions that should be directed to the Pre-award Unit include the following:
- Questions about Electronic Internal Proposal Routing System (EIPRS).
- Questions about proposal development and proposal submissions.
- Questions about Cayuse.
- Questions about the subawards.com portal.
- Questions about Grants.gov.
Questions about Fastlane (not related to submitting a request for an extension, rebudget, or other prior approval).
Sarah Martonick – Manager; Vicki Russell and Richard Gayler – Contract Administrators; firstname.lastname@example.org are responsible for the following:
- Account/budget setup: Post Award
- Modifications and Awards: Post Award
- Sponsor Prior Approval requests: (ex: request for extensions, rebudgets, change of Principal Investigator (PI) and others): Post Award
- Moving money between budgets: Post Award
- Early setups and advance funding: Post Award
- Questions about whether we have received an award, modification, a reply to a prior approval (or other) request or signed document: Post Award
- Annual or progress reporting questions: Post Award
- Gift vs. Grant: Sarah Martonick and Kay Dee Holmes, with Director final approval
- Local Services and Service Center Agreements (a.k.a. fee for services): Post Award and Contract Review
- Master Agreements and MOUs: Post Award and Contact Review.
Contract Review Officer: Kay Dee Holmes, Associate Contract Review Officer: Jason Oliver (email@example.com). The Contract Review Unit ensures that research agreements comply with university, state, and federal policy, law and regulations. The Contract Review Unit can assist you with any questions related to the following:
- Agreements related to research, including but not limited to research agreements, master research agreements, MOUs, and incoming service agreements (a.k.a. fee for services)
- Negotiated changes to the agreement
- Issuing subaward or subcontract agreements
- Issues or requirements related to a research agreement.
Cost Accounting Unit (firstname.lastname@example.org) is managed by Kris Freitag and is responsible for the following types of questions:
- Allowability: is an expense allowable on a particular project/type of project?
- Expenditures: how do I get an expenditure on a particular budget (ex: what E-Code do I use or what is the best method to get this charge onto the budget?)?
- Budget transfers: moving money with-in a single budget.
- Fly America Act Compliance
Wendy Kerr, Kenwyn Richards, Heather Taff and Rebecca Marquez are members of the Cost Accounting Unit. In addition to the above, they are responsible for the following types of questions:
- Personnel Activity Reports (PARS): Wendy
- Cost Share: Wendy
- Space Survey: Heather Taff
- F&A Rate proposal: Heather Taff
- Reporting of numbers to College’s (quarterly activity reports, F&A distribution, annual activity reports): Wendy
- Audit: Wendy
- Payroll cost transfers: Kenwyn and Rebecca
- Service Centers: Kenwyn
Heather Nelson, Manager; Roxanne Swearingen, Tami O’Brien and Teri Riedner are responsible for the following types of questions:
- Closing out a budget/account at award end.
- Invoicing or letter of credit drawdowns.
- Financial reporting.
The advance funding procedure is to be initiated by the college or unit (department) when a modification to an existing agreement (project) has not yet been received to extend and/or add additional funding to an established budget, or a modification has been received but not yet executed, to allow for expenditures in support of the next phase of the project. The unit must provide authorization for advance funding, to OSP Post Award, to allow for work to proceed for the next phase of the project in advance of the end-date or deficit spending. This process reduces the number of cost transfers, prevents disruptions in on-going project work, and helps to ensure that expenses are attributed to the project that they support. Advance funding differs from an early (preliminary) budget setup. Advance funding is for existing agreements as opposed to a new agreement. If a new agreement requires a project budget before the new agreement is received and executed, please see the early (preliminary) budget setup section for the relevant process and policy information.
Process: The unit Dean or Dean’s delegate should submit an Advance Funding authorization email, utilizing the template below, via email to the Post Award unit of OSP. By providing the advance funding authorization, the unit is agreeing to absorb any incurred expenditures should an amendment not be received and executed for the advance funding amount and/or timeframe. Any pending charges beyond the project end-date or in excess of the awarded funding amount will not be permitted until advance funding approval is received from the College Dean or Dean’s delegate. If the advance funding approval is not received by OSP prior to the end-date or expenditure of the current funding amount, the department will need to cease work and incurrence of charges on the project budget until such time as an amendment is received and executed. Should an amendment not be received from the sponsor (barring extenuating circumstances) within the financial closeout period, the department must transfer any overages or charges that occurred after the end-date from the account(s) as voluntary uncommitted cost share and OSP will close the project by sending a final invoice to the sponsor, as required under the terms of the agreement.
Template for advance funding authorization: “For project(s) INSERT BUDGET NUMBER(S), OSP and the department (college) have been informed that the sponsor intends to continue this project. However, UI has not yet received an official amendment from the sponsor. As the Dean or Dean’s delegate, I provide approval for the advance funding of this project. I understand that the University’s advance funding procedure allows for project expenditures to be incurred for the next phase of the project for up to 90 days and up to 25% of a 12 month period of funding. I certify that any expenditures incurred in the advance funding period will be the responsibility of the department or college, should the sponsor not provide an amendment. By providing advance funding approval, the College certifies that the PI is compliant with all project deliverables and will remain compliant during the advanced funding period.”
- APM 45.06 - Allowable and Unallowable Sponsored Project Expenditures
- APM 45.07 - Cost Transfers on Sponsored Projects
- APM 45.08 - Cost Sharing ("Match") on Sponsored Projects
- APM 45.09 - Effort Reporting and Personnel Activity Reports (PARs)
- APM 45.10 - Facilities & Administrative (F&A) Rate
- Budget and Cost Transfer Calculator for Sponsored Projects
- CAS Exemption Form
- Grant E-Code Lookup Tool
- OSP Payroll Cost Transfer form
- Participant Support Costs Detail
- Sample Payroll Cost Transfer
- Effort Reporting Schedule
- Tools for Managing Research at the Transactional Level
If you assist in the management of a sponsored project that falls under a Master Agreement or Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), email the OSP Post Award team to request a copy of the agreement or amendment(s).
- APM 45.02 - Sponsored Projects Proposal Preparation and Authorization
- Submitting a Proposal
- Proposal Submission Process
- Preparing a Budget
- Blended Rate Calculator
- Budget Template - Basic
- Budget Template - 5 Year
- Budget Template - 5 Year, Multiple PIs
- NIFA Rate Comparison Calculator
- Subrecipient Commitment Form
- Voluntary Cost Share Waiver Request
- F&A Waiver Request Form
- Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) Exception Form
- APM 45.03 - Definitions for Grants, Contracts and Gifts
- APM 45.04 - Notice of Sponsored Projects and Establishment of Budgets
- What Happens When an Award is Approved?
- Budget Setup Requests
- APM 45.05 - Early Set-up of Sponsored Project Budgets
- Preliminary (early) Setup Request Form
- Sub-budget Request Form
- APM 45.14 - Approvals for Post Award Changes to Sponsored Projects
- Sample Letters for Prior Approval Requests
- Managing Your Award
- Best Practices for Sponsored Projects
- PI Leaving-Retiring: The PI Leaving-Transfer form and all prior approvals must be submitted to agency sponsors at least 30 days prior to PI departure. Contact Post Award with questions.