Bar Exam Success Toolkit
Included in our tuition, the College of Law offers all students the “Bar Exam Success Toolkit,” (BEST) a set of initiatives and resources designed to comprehensively support student success on the bar throughout the entire law school experience, from orientation up until the exam. BEST includes:
- Lawyering Fundamentals – A substantive orientation with intensive workshops that teach students the skills necessary to succeed in law school. Intentional Torts is used as the vehicle to introduce students to concepts including legal problem solving, the Socratic Method, legal analysis, and communicating like a lawyer. The orientation curriculum complements our popular Professionalism Day and more deeply prepare students for success in law school and on the bar exam.
- BARBRI’s 2L/3L Outlines, Lectures and Practice Questions - Students have access to outlines, exam preparation lectures, StudySmart software, additional learning exercises, an app, and one-on-one attention. These resources will not only potentially help students in their classes, but in the long run on the bar exam. Preparation material and instruction for the MPRE is also included.
- BARBRI AMP for MBE Subjects – BARBRI AMP technology is a revolutionary study tool to help you master the black letter law – faster. The technology leverages the latest cognitive research to help students learn faster and retain longer. BARBRI AMP modules exist for concepts in all seven Multistate Bar Exam (MBE) subjects, including Evidence, Criminal Procedure, Constitutional Law, Civil Procedure, Torts, Contracts, Property, and Criminal Law.
- Applied Legal Reasoning Course – Launched in 2015, the Applied Legal Reasoning course uses BARBRI materials to ease students into bar preparation by allotting more time for instruction and applied practice by sharply focusing on contextualized substantive review of the most heavily tested MBE subjects. Students have had to pay a separate materials fee when taking the course and that fee will now be included in our tuition for everyone.
- BARBRI Bar Review Course – Starting with the first year class in fall 2016, every law student will receive the BARBRI Bar Review Course included in their tuition. The Bar Review Course includes instruction over the summer on the substance and skills needed to succeed on the bar exam. Materials, feedback, diagnostic questions, online resources, and more will be available to students. College of Law staff will also be able to track, advise, and support students during the summer by receiving reports from BARBRI on assignment results. Having the cost of a summer bar review included in your tuition will guarantee that everyone has access to the resources they need to succeed on the bar exam without financial limitation. We hope it also alleviates some of the financial stress involved with planning for the summer after you graduate.
The College believes strongly that it is our responsibility to ensure student success from the point of being admitted on through to the bar exam and eventually in practice. BEST provides students the resources they need, if used, to maximize the potential to pass the bar exam.