Associate Professor & Interim Director of Water Resources
Ph.D., Utah State University
M.S., Universität Leipzig, Germany
- Fluid distribution and transport in soil at multiple scales
- Near-surface geophysical methods for imaging processes related to hydrological problems, issues of environmental change and characterization of soils
- Nearing, G.S., Tuller, M., Jones, S.B., Heinse, R. and M.S. Meding. 2013. Electromagnetic induction for mapping textural contrasts of mine tailing deposits. Journal of Applied Geophysics 89 (11-20).
- Jones, S.B., D. Or, R. Heinse and M. Tuller. 2012. Beyond Earth: Designing Root Zone Environ-ments for Reduced Gravity Conditions. Vadose Zone J. 11(1)
- Jones, S.B., B. Bugbee, R. Heinse, D. Or and G.E. Bingham. 2011. Porous Plant Growth Media
- Design Considerations for Lunar and Martian Habitats. SAE International Journal of Aerospace 4 (1), 55-62.
- Robinson, D.A., S.B. Jones, J.M.Jr. Blonquist, R. Heinse, I. Lebron, and T.E. Doyle (2009). The Dielectric Response of the Tropical Hawaiian Mars Soil Simulant JSC Mars-1. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 73:3.
- Heinse, R., S.B. Jones, M. Tuller, G.E. Bingham, I. Podolskiy and D. Or (2009). Providing Opti-mal Root-Zone Fluid Fluxes: Eects of Hysteresis on Capillary-Dominated Water Distributions in Reduced Gravity. SAE Technical Paper no. 2009-01-2360.
- Jones, S.B., R. Heinse, B. Bugbee, D. Or and G.E. Bingham (2009). Porous Plant Growth Media Design Considerations for Lunar and Martian Habitats. SAE Technical Paper no. 2009-01-2361.
- Heinse, R., S.B. Jones, S.L. Steinberg, M. Tuller and D. Or (2007). Measurements and Modeling of Variable Gravity Eects on Water Distribution and Flow in Unsaturated Porous Media. Vadose Zone J 6:713-724.
- Heinse, R., G. Kluitenberg, K.S. Lewis, R.S. Austin, P.J. Shouse, G.B. Bingham, and S.B. Jones (2006). Integration of Heat Capacity and Electrical Conductivity Sensors for Root Module Water and Nutrient Assessment. SAE Technical Paper no. 2006-01-2211.
- Heinse, R., S.D. Humphries, R.W. Mace, S.B. Jones, S.L. Steinberg, M. Tuller, R. Newman and D. Or. (2005). Measurement of Porous Media Water Retention during Parabolic Flight Induced Microgravity. SAE Technical Paper no. 2005-01-2950.
- Jones, S.B., R. Heinse, G.B. Bingham and D. Or (2005). Modeling and Design of Optimal Growth Media from Plant-Based Gas and Liquid Fluxes, SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2949.