Virginia (Ginny) Lane
Virginia (Ginny) Lane
Niccolls Building, Room 103B
School of Family and Consumer Sciences
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3183
Moscow, ID 83844-3183
Lane focuses are on community and global nutrition; food security risks among vulnerable populations, international and Indigenous contexts; determinants of chronic disease; and multidisciplinary mixed methods approaches to complex issues.
Ph.D., University of Saskatchewan, 2017
M.A., University of Regina, Regina, 2010
Dietetic Internship, Royal University Hospital, 1995
B.S., University of Saskatchewan, 1994
- Food security status and interventions among Indigenous Mayan people in Momostenango, Guatemala.
- Conditions for optimal growth and development of Canadian children: A longitudinal mixed-methods study.
- Healthy immigrant children study in Saskatchewan.
- Bye, Z*., Keshavarz, P., Lane, G., Vatanparast, H. (2021). What Role do Plant-Based Diets Play in Supporting the Optimal Health and Wellbeing of Canadians? Adv Nutr. doi: 10.1093/advances/nmab061. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 34049398.
- Lane, G., Nisbet, C., Johnson, S., Candow, D., Chilibeck, P., Vatanparast, H. (2021). Barriers and facilitators to meeting recommended physical activity levels among new immigrant and refugee children in Saskatchewan, Canada. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab., 46(7), 797-807. doi: 10.1139/apnm-2020-0666. Epub 2021 Jan 13. PubMed PMID: 33439788.
- Lane, G., Hengstermann, M.*, White, J., Vatanparast, H. (2021). Newcomer challenges with accessing healthcare services in Saskatchewan, Canada. Border Crossing, 11(2), 157.
- Al-Kharabsheh, L.*, Al-Bazz, S.*, Koc, M., Garcia, J., Lane, G., Engler-Stringer, R., White, J., Vatanparast, H. (2020). Household Food Insecurity and Associated Socio-economic Factors Among Recent Syrian Refugees in Two Canadian Cities. Border Crossing, 10(2), 203.
- Lane, G., Nisbet, C., Vatanparast, H. (2019). Dietary habits of newcomer children in Canada. Public Health Nutr., 22(17), 3151-3162. doi: 10.1017/S1368980019001964. Epub 2019 Aug 7. PubMed PMID: 31387663.
- Lane, G., Nisbet, C., Vatanparast, H. (2019). Food Insecurity and Nutritional Risk among Canadian Newcomer Children in Saskatchewan. Nutrients, 11(8). doi: 10.3390/nu11081744. PubMed PMID: 31362415; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6723799.
- Lane, G., Nisbet, C., Whiting, S., Vatanparast, H. (2019). Canadian newcomer children's bone health and vitamin D status. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab., 44(7), 796-803. doi: 10.1139/apnm-2018-0705. Epub 2019 Apr 24. PubMed PMID: 31017806.
- Lane, G., Farag, M., White, J., Nisbet, C., Vatanparast, H. (2018). Chronic health disparities among refugee and immigrant children in Canada. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab., 43(10), 1043-1058. doi: 10.1139/apnm-2017-0407. PubMed PMID: 29726691.
- Lane, V., White, J., Vatanparast, H. (2017). Inclusive or targeted health services for newcomers. Diversity Journal, 1, 46-49.
*denotes graduate student/mentee
- Lane, V., Vatanparast, H., White, J. Health Status of New Canadian Children: From Research to Policy in Immigrant Integration: Research implications for Public Policy 2014 (pp. 213-231). Eds: K. Murphy Kilbride. Canadian Scholars Press: Toronto.
Lane is a registered dietitian. She has worked in a variety of community development, government, health system and academic settings. Her research interests include sustainable development, food security, chronic diseases, disabilities, dementia and health promotion with a focus on children, seniors and vulnerable populations.
- Queen Elizabeth Scholar Early Career Research Award: 2021
- Premier’s Award for Excellence in the Public Service, Government of Saskatchewan: 2019
- Queen Elizabeth Scholar Postdoctoral Fellowship: 2018-2019
- Honorable Mention Poster, Canadian Health Student Research Forum: 2016
- First Place Poster, Life and Health Sciences Conference: 2015
- First Place Overall Poster, Global Health Conference: 2014