Ag Biotech, Room 307
Animal, Veterinary and Food Sciences
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2330
Moscow, ID 83844-2330
My research focuses on identifying the molecular processes that underlie the regulation of cardiac contraction and relaxation in the context of normal and diseased states, such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and heart failure.
Ph.D., University of California, Irvine, 1989
B.S., University of California, Irvine, 1983
- To more fully understand how calcium and signal transduction pathways (e.g., β-AR) modulate ventricular function on a beat-to-beat basis.
- To ascertain the roles of specific contractile and regulatory proteins in modulating myocardial contractility through the generation of unique murine CRISPR models that simulate the diseased state in human myocardium.
- To utilize a translational approach in studying the pathophysiology of heart disease in mammalian myocardium.
- To define the mechanisms of depressed myocardial contractility associated with right-sided congestive heart failure (brisket disease) in cattle.
- Gregorich ZR, JR Patel, W Cai, Z Lin, R Heurer, DP Fitzsimons, RL Moss, and Y Ge. (2019). Deletion of enigma homologue from the Z-disc slows tension development kinetics in mouse myocardium. J. Gen. Physiol. 151:670-679. PMCID: PMC6504290.
- Giles J, JR Patel, A Miller, E Iverson, D Fitzsimons, and RL Moss. (2018). Recovery of left ventricular function following in vivo re-expression of cardiac myosin binding protein C. J. Gen Physiol. 151:77-89. PMCID: PMC6314388.
- Moss RL, TL Lynch, and DP Fitzsimons. (2017). Acting on an impulse (or two or three): adaptive advantage of a high-frequency burst of action potentials at the onset of tetany in fast-twitch skeletal muscle fibers. J Gen Physiol. 149:297-300. PMCID: PMC5339515.
- Rosas PC, Y Liu, MI Abdalla, CM Thomas, DT Kidwell, GF Dusio, D Mukhopadhyay, R Kumar, KM Baker, BM Mitchell, PA Powers, DP Fitzsimons, BG Patel, CM Warren, RJ Solaro, RL Moss, and CW Tong. (2016). Phosphorylation of cardiac myosin-binding protein-C is a critical mediator of diastolic function. Circ Heart Fail 8:582-594. PMCID: PMC4447128.
- Moss RL, DP Fitzsimons, JC Ralphe. (2015). Cardiac MyBP-C regulates the rate and force of contraction in mammalian myocardium. Circ Res 116:183-192. PMCID: PMC4283578.