Online Master’s and Doctoral Programs List
The University of Idaho’s online graduate degrees reflect our mission of making education accessible across the state and nation and responding to changing employment demands. Delivering the quality instruction expected of a research university, our online master’s and doctoral programs are taught by our esteemed faculty members and build upon our century-old reputation as an educational leader in the Northwest.
Online graduate students can earn a degree from one of our top-ranked national programs around their existing obligations and have access to the same opportunities and resources, including the on-campus library, research projects, scholarships, and teaching assistantships. If you’ve thought about returning to school but require more flexibility due to your full-time job and raising a family, advance your career with any of the programs listed here.
Available via online or distance learning:
- Adult Organizational Learning and Leadership, M.S.
- Educational Leadership, M.Ed.
- Curriculum and Instruction, M.Ed.
- Physical Education, M.Ed.
- Special Education, M.Ed.
- Education, Ed.D., Ph.D. (may vary from all to mostly online)
- Civil Engineering, M.Engr.
- Computer Engineering, M.S., M.Engr.
- Computer Science, M.S.
- Cybersecurity, M.S.
- Electrical Engineering, M.S., M.Engr.
- Engineering Management, M.Engr.
- Geological Engineering,, M.S.
- Mechanical Engineering, M.Engr.
- Power System Protection and Relaying, Certificate
- Secure and Dependable Computing Systems, Certificate
- Technology Management, M.S.
Letters, Arts and Social Sciences
- Music, M.Mus.
- Public Administration, M.P.A.
- Psychology: Human Factors, M.S.
- Theatre Arts, MFA
Natural Resources and Environmental Science
- Environmental Science, M.S.
- Environmental Education and Science Communication, Certificate
- Master of Natural Resources, M.N.R.
- Fire Ecology, Management and Technology, Certificate
- Remote Sensing of the Environment, Certificate
- Statistical Science, M.S.
- Teaching Mathematics, M.A.T.
The University of Idaho General Catalog is available online.
Distance Learning Versus Online Graduate Degrees
U of I’s online graduate degrees utilize two distinct formats. Online learning uses pre-recorded, or asynchronous, lectures that students can then review on their own time. Distance learning simulates a real-time virtual classroom. Wherever an online student is located, they have direct access to a traditional classroom environment where they can interact and participate in discussions with their fellow students and instructors.
The Benefits of U of I’s Online Graduate Programs
Whichever online degree you begin, being an online learning student at U of I comes with a host of benefits.
- Flexibility: We design our online master’s and doctoral programs around the schedules of working adults, allowing you to maintain existing employment, family, and seasonal commitments without altering your schedule or taking a hit in income.
- Quality: We’re one of the region’s most respected research universities. Whether the class is pre-recorded or virtual, our leading faculty members deliver the same depth and detail of instruction that you expect in an on-campus classroom.
- Place-Based Degrees: Especially where research is concerned, our faculty members partner with regional organizations to support our online graduate students as they complete a place-based thesis or non-thesis research project. You, in turn, can conduct guided research relevant to your geographic region without ever setting foot on campus and may even be able to do so through your existing employer.
- Scholarships: Many erroneously believe that scholarships are off the table to online graduate students. Supporting your endeavors and professional growth, the University of Idaho has opened up teaching assistant opportunities and place-based scholarships to online students.
- Affordability: No matter where you are in the country or world, all online courses for master’s and doctoral programs are charged at our in-state rate.
- Ahead of the Curve: The University of Idaho championed distance learning ahead of everyone else with our innovative Engineering Outreach program. We introduced these degrees over 35 years ago, and while we’ve adjusted delivery methods to available technologies, our commitment toward advancing your career through quality education has not wavered.
Learn More About U of I’s Online Graduate Degrees
Thinking about enrolling in an online graduate degree program? To get your questions answered, reach out to the College of Graduate Studies by email or by phone at 208-885-2647, or request additional information today.