University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.


Department of Curriculum and Instruction

Mailing Address:
College of Education, Health and Human Sciences
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3082

Phone: 208-885-6587

Fax: 208-885-1071





Special Education

The Special Education Master’s Degree and Certification-Only Program at the University of Idaho is designed to offer certified teachers a convenient pathway to obtain a master’s degree in special education, coupled with the option of special education certification. Our program stands out as a top choice for students seeking distance learning opportunities, allowing them to complete their degree and certification remotely. All courses are delivered through distance technologies, eliminating the need for on-campus attendance.

The University of Idaho's Special Education Program holds national accreditation from the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (formerly known as the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) and is a state-approved program in special education. To qualify for entry into the program, candidates should possess an undergraduate degree in education or a related field and meet the university's enrollment criteria for the College of Graduate Studies. For those pursuing certification options, a valid teaching certificate is a prerequisite. Join our program to advance your career and expertise in special education from the comfort of your own location.

Academic Background:

To be considered for graduate admissions students must have a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association. If the degree is from a recognized but not regionally accredited institution, the application will be reviewed by the department and by the College of Graduate Studies.

GPA Requirements:

Applicants must have a minimum overall Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 on a 4.00 grade scale equivalent to U.S. bachelor’s degree. If your GPA meets the minimum admission requirements, the department of major will determine if your overall academic record and test scores meet department requirements.
Note: If you do not meet the minimum 3.00 GPA, your application can be considered for admission if you:

  • have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher for your last 60 semester credits or 90 quarter credits


  • have worked in the program specific profession for 5+ years 

  • have a letter of support from a faculty member in the department 

  • write a detailed statement/essay describing your professional experience and potential to succeed academically

Important Notes:

» Learn More

Include your full name on ALL materials and ensure uploads are LEGIBLE.

Any change in specific degree, major or semester before enrollment requires a new application (including uploaded material) and non-refundable fee.

Documents Required by the Department

  • These are uploaded into the application.
  • Expand Departmental Requirements below for more information.

Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)

  • This is uploaded into the application.

Statement of Purpose

  • This is uploaded into the application.

Letters of Recommendation (3)

  • Gather the names and email addresses of your recommenders. You will need this information to complete an application.

  • Remember to inform recommenders in advance that they will receive a communication when the application is submitted.

  • Letters of recommendation will be uploaded by the recommenders into the application.

  • These letters must be on university or company letterhead. Preferably letters will come from teaching or research faculty in an area related to your anticipated field of study or a company supervisor who has worked with you, who can articulate your merits. Include the letter writer’s signature and contact information. This recommendation can be no older than six months from the date of submission to Graduate Admissions.

Payment Card Information

  • This is used to pay application fee.

Transcripts and Academic Credentials

  • Applicants may upload scanned copies of official transcripts and translations via the online application. Only scans of high quality (600 dpi or higher, front and back with grading keys/scales) from the University Registrar’s office, also known as original documents from your institution, are acceptable. These scans may be used to determine your acceptance into the program, however the official documents will ultimately be required. 
    • International Institutions: Academic credentials of all post-secondary course work must be received according to the country specific directions on the Graduate Admissions website. Note: Failure to adhere to these requirements could delay your credential evaluation and/or admission to the University of Idaho.
    • U.S. Institutions: Academic transcripts from each college or university attended must be received by Graduate Admissions directly from the awarding institution in the officially sealed envelope bearing the institution’s official seal, stamp, and/or appropriate signature.

      • Graduate Admissions accepts electronic transcripts from the National Student Clearinghouse and Credentials eScrip-Safe. Check with your institution to see if they participate.

      • Current or former U of I students: If you have or are currently attending U of I, you do not need to order U of I transcripts. Graduate Admissions will secure them for you.

Test Scores GRE | TOEFL

  • The GRE is only required for some graduate programs.

  • The U of I ETS Institution Code: 4843.

  • If you need a department code, use:

    • TOEFL: 99

    • GRE: 5199

(A waiver for language proficiency requirement (TOEFL) is automatically granted to students whose education is from countries where English is an official/native language.)

Direct transcripts and test scores to:

Graduate Admissions
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3019
Moscow, ID 83844-3019


Recommendation for admission is based on the department's decision. Final admission is determined by the College of Graduate Studies.

Location: Online
*Non-thesis Option only 

Required Test Scores:

Additional Requirements:

Due to the nature of this program, immigration regulations prohibit students requiring an F-1 or J-1 visa admission to this program. Other visa categories may be eligible to study in the U.S.

Contact the International Programs Office for rules governing enrollment while in the U.S. prior to application submission.

Contact and Director of Graduate Studies (Special Education):
Aleksandra Hollingshead
Phone: 208-885-0629

To be considered official, all required academic records and test scores such as transcripts, degree certificates, GRE, TOEFL, must be sent directly from the institution and/or testing center to Graduate Admissions. When these items are submitted by applicants or educational consultants/agencies, approved or not, they are considered unofficial.

Direct mailing address is:
Graduate Admissions
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3019
Moscow, ID 83844-3019

Items that applicants may upload into the application include the Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Statement of Career Objectives, Area of Emphasis Form, Personal Information Form, Writing Sample and Portfolio.

English Language Proficiency

The most common and widely accepted test is the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).
Our institution code for the TOEFL is 4843.

The following are acceptable as proof of English Language Proficiency:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): minimum overall score of 79/550 

  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System): minimum overall score of 6.5 

  • MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery): Minimum overall score of 77 

  • U of I American Language & Culture Program (ALCP) with a Level 6 Pass 

  • U.S. Education Earned Bachelor, or higher, degree at accredited U.S. institution

A waiver for this requirement is automatically granted to applicants whose education is from countries where English is an official/native language.

All tests must have been taken within two years of the semester you are applying.

If the graduate program has a higher requirement you will need to take the TOEFL, or equivalent test, and obtain the higher score prior to be granted regular admission.

To view a list of programs accepting students with pending English proficiency, visit our English proficiency webpage.

Academic Credentials

All graduate school applicants must possess the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree. For information about equivalency and required academic credentials by country of education page, use the Degree Equivalency Guide.

An official academic record from all post-secondary education institutions attended is required. This may take some time so start this early in your application process.

In the instance that official records cannot be obtained, unofficial records may be used to consider your application. These documents are typically issued to the student and may be considered official after further review. This applies to cases where it is impossible to obtain the official records, and will be considered only on a case by case basis.

The University of Idaho recommends, and reserves the right to require, a professional credential evaluation by an outside, independent party. Reasons for outside review include, but are not limited to, verification of document authenticity, potential transfer credits and the wish to expedite the processing of an application file. You are responsible for supplying the correct academic records and paying for the evaluation service. You will need to request a course-by-course evaluation.

The preferred provider of transcript evaluations is:

There is a list of the five professional credential evaluation services from which the University of Idaho will accept evaluations.

Precise, word-for-word, English translations are required for all foreign language documents.

Immigration & Financial Requirements

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations require that every student verify the availability of funds to pay for educational and living expenses before an I-20 or DS-2019 form to obtain a visa to enter the U.S. can be issued.

Immigration regulations require that international students holding F-1 or J-1 student visas be certified as full-time students during the academic year. F-1 graduate students are required to be enrolled in nine credit hours and are allowed to take up to three credits of online coursework toward this requirement. J-1 visa holders are also required to enroll in nine credit hours, but are not allowed to take online classes toward the nine credit requirement.

Not all programs are eligible for an F-1 or J-1. See Departmental Requirements above for information.

Complete and return the following to Graduate Admissions regardless of your source(s) of funding:

All students currently in F-1 status at any type of institution (college, university, intensive English institute) in the U.S. who plan to transfer to the University of Idaho must complete the transfer procedure through SEVIS.

SEVIS Record Transfer Request (PDF Form)

Transfer Procedure:

  1. Receive admission to the University of Idaho

  2. Notify your current school of your intentions to transfer 

  3. Complete Part I of this form (only after you have been admitted and choose to attend U I)

  4. Have an international student advisor at your current institution complete Part II

  5. After you and your current school have determined the date to have your SEVIS record electronically released to the University of Idaho, promptly return this form

  6. After the release date, the University of Idaho will produce an I-20.

Visit the following pages to learn more:


Department of Curriculum and Instruction

Mailing Address:
College of Education, Health and Human Sciences
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3082

Phone: 208-885-6587

Fax: 208-885-1071