Assistant Professor — Research
Niccolls, Room 108C
School of Family and Consumer Sciences
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3183
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3183
Please contact Yimin Chen to learn about graduate student opportunities.
Yimin is a human milk researcher with 15 years of clinical experience. She investigates the effects of human milk immunomodulatory components on the infant gastrointestinal and systemic immune response.
Ph.D., University of Illinois at Chicago, 2017
M.S., Rush University, 2005
B.S., Loyola University of Chicago, 2001
- Human milk immunomodulatory components
- Preterm infants
- Gastrointestinal integrity and immunity
- Gut barrier function
- Chen Y, Fantuzzi G, Schoeny M, Meier PM, Patel AL. High-dose human milk feedings decrease oxidative stress in premature infants. J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2019;43(1):126-132.
- Chen Y. Invited Commentary: Considerations in Donor Human Milk Use in Premature Infants. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2018;67(5):550-551.
- Chen Y, Patel AL, Meier PP, Fantuzzi G. Digested early lactation stage preterm human milk suppresses TNF-induced inflammation and cytotoxicity in human intestinal epithelial cells. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2018;66(6):e153-e157.
- Nicoletta C*, Gregoire M, Sowa D, Diakakis G, Chen Y. Characteristics of exclusively breastfeeding mothers. Top Clin Nutr. 2015;30(2):174-183.
- Meier PP, Patel AL, Bigger HR, Chen Y, Johnson TJ, Rossman B, Engstrom JL. Human milk feedings in the neonatal intensive care unit. In VR Preedy, Diet and nutrition in critical care. 2014.
- Patel A, Trivedi S, Bhandari N, Ruf A, Scala C, Witowich G, Chen Y, Renschen C, Meier P, Silvestri J. Reducing Necrotizing Enterocolitis in Very Low Birth Weight Infants Using Quality Improvement Methods. J Perinatol. 2014;34(11):850-7.
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) Science Research Conferences Travel Award, 2019
- The International Society for Research in Human Milk and Lactation Conference Travel Award, 2018
- University of Illinois at Chicago, Dr. Savitrii Kamath Award, 2017
- University of Illinois at Chicago Graduate Student Council Travel Award, 2017