Personal Finance Specialist and Associate Professor
University of Idaho, Boise
322 E Front Street, Suite 180
Boise, ID 83702
My interests include personal finance, with an emphasis on youth education. Areas of expertise include credit building, credit scores, investing for retirement, withdrawal strategies, financial goal setting and emergency preparedness. I also have interests in instructional design strategies and instruction through serious games.
Ph.D., Idaho State University, 2018 (anticipated)
M.S., Utah State University, 2006
B.S., Brigham Young University, 2004
- Building credit
- Effective retirement planning
- Debt reduction strategies
- Instructional design practices
- Erickson, L.V. & Hansen, L., (2016). Credit Score Millionaire: Innovative program helps diverse audiences build strong credit scores. Journal of Extension.
- Lambert, C., Erickson, L. V., Alhramelah, A., Rhoton, D., Lindbeck, R., Sammons, D. 2014. Technology and Adult Students in Higher Education: A Review of the Literature. Issues and Trends in Educational Technology, 2(1).
- Erickson, L.V. & Hansen, L., 2012. E-Newsletters: A simple way to integrate technology with Extension programming. Journal of Extension 50(6).
- Bischoff, M., L. Hansen, B. Healey, L. Erickson, M. Lockard. 2010. Retirement Ready? Curriculum.
- Erickson, L.V., L. Delgadillo and K. Piercy. 2008. The Need for Predatory Mortgage Education: Expert views. Journal of Extension, 46(5).
- Erickson, L.V., G. Taylor, B. Eborn, S. Howe, S. Traver and S. Cooke. 2008. Housing Affordability in Idaho: 1979-2000. University of Idaho Extension Bulletin 850.
- Delgadillo, L., L.V. Erickson and K. Piercy. 2008. Disentangling the Differences Between Abusive and Predatory Lending: Professional Perspectives. Journal of Consumer Affairs 42(3).
- Clark, T.B. 2007. Personal Finance Handbook. Atlantic Publishing group. Chapter 11 – Buying a Home; Case Study: Luke V. Erickson. Pg. 79, 147-149.
I attended Brigham Young University where I completed a bachelor’s in economics in 2006, and I completed a master’s in consumer science in 2006 from Utah State University. The subject of my master’s thesis was predatory subprime lending and this research led to several timely publications on the coming housing crisis before it happened in late 2007. My doctorate in instructional design from Idaho State University has helped me develop a keen interest in educational strategies for both youth and adults. I served as a UI Extension educator in Madison County, Idaho for 11 years before transitioning into the personal finance state specialist role in 2017. I love working for and representing the University of Idaho. Go Vandals!
- Best Overall Digital Game, “Night of the Living Debt,” Meaningful Play conference, 2016. L. Erickson, L. Hansen, B. Chamberlin, S. Powers.
- Gold Medal Award for educational game, “Night of the Living Debt,” International Serious Play conference, 2016, B. Chamberlin, S. Powers, L. Erickson, L. Hansen.
- AFCPE Consumer Financial Information Award of the Year, 2015. L.V. Erickson & L. Hansen.
- JCEP-ESP National Professional of the Year award. 2014, L.V. Erickson.
- Second Place National, Dean Don Felker Financial Award, NEAFCS, “Credit Score Millionaire,” 2014. L.V. Erickson, L. Hansen & S. Woffinden.
- First Place Western Region, Dean Don Felker Financial Award, NEAFCS, “Credit Score Millionaire,” 2014. L.V. Erickson, L. Hansen & S. Woffinden.
- First Place Idaho, Dean Don Felker Financial Award, NEAFCS, “Credit Score Millionaire,” 2014. L.V. Erickson, L. Hansen & S. Woffinden.
- Third Place Western Region, Educational Curriculum Package, NEAFCS, “Retirement Ready,” 2011. M. Bischoff, L. Erickson, L. Hansen, B. Healy & M. Lockard.
- Best Paper of the Year Award, Journal of Consumer Affairs, 2010. Delgadillo, L., L.V. Erickson, & K. Piercy.
- First Place National, Florence Hall Award, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, 2007. M. Bischoff, B. Healy, L. Hansen, K. Tifft, B. Petty, M. Lockard, A. Liddil, C. Hampton, J. Stimpson, S. Woffinden, R. Lanting, L. Erickson, M. Spencer, D. Gillespie and G. Wittman.
- First Place Western Region, Florence Hall Award, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, 2007. Team: M. Bischoff, B. Healy, L. Hansen, K. Tifft, B. Petty, M. Lockard, A. Liddil, C. Hampton, J. Stimpson, S. Woffinden, R. Lanting, L. Erickson, M. Spencer, D. Gillespie and G. Wittman.
- New Educator of the Year Award, Idaho Association of Family and Consumer Science, 2007.