Ag Biotech, Room 205
Animal, Veterinary and Food Sciences
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2330
Moscow, ID 83844-2330
Ünlü focus is targeting main agricultural interests, commodities (dairy, potatoes, fish) and byproducts (cheese whey, potato peel waste, fish skin/bones) in ID and WA.
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1998
M.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1992
B.S., Hacettepe University, 1987
- Food, dairy and wine microbiology
- Food biotechnology
- Functional foods
- Microbial food safety
- Food biopreservation
- Bioactive packaging of foods
- Bioconversion of agricultural and industrial waste into value-added products
- Adhikari, A., A. Bary, C. Cogger, C. James, and G. Ünlü, and K. Killinger. 2016. Heat and Starvation Stress Response of Escherchia coli O157:H7 isolated from agricultural environments. Journal of Food Protection. 79 (10): 1673-1679. Article first published online: doi:10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-16-115.
- Ünlü, G., B. Nielsen, and C. Ionita. 2016. Inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes in Hot Dogs by Surface Application of Freeze-dried Bacteriocin-Containing Powders from Lactic Acid Bacteria. Probiotics and Antimicrobial Proteins. 8 (2): 102-110. Article first published online: 04 19 2016. DOI: 10.1007/s12602-016-9213-2.
- Rosales-Soto, M.U., P. Grey, J.K. Fellman, D.S. Mattinson, G. Ünlü, K. Huber, and J.R. Powers. 2015. Microbiological and Physico-chemical Analysis of Fermented Protein-Fortified Cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) flour. LWT Food Science and Technology. 66 (2016): 355-360.
- Ünlü, G., B. Nielsen, and C. Ionita. 2015. Production of Antilisterial Bacteriocins from Lactic Acid Bacteria in Dairy-Based Media – A Comparative Study. Probiotics and Antimicrobial Proteins. 7 (4): 259-274. Article first published online: 04 Sep 2015. DOI: 10.1007/s12602-015-9200-z
- Nielsen, B., G. Candan Gürakan, and G. Ünlü. 2014. Kefir – a multifaceted probiotic. Probiotics and Antimicrobial Proteins. 6 (3-4): 123-135. Article first published online: 27 Sep 2014. DOI: 10.1007/s12602-014-9168-0.
- Tammineni, N., C. Nindo, B. Rasco, J. Powers, and G. Ünlü. 2014. Tannin incorporated bovine and fish gelatin coatings: Effect on physical properties and oxidative stability of salmon fillets. Journal of Food Chemistry and Nutrition. 2 (2): 93-102.
- Wu, Di, B. Rasco, K.R. Vixie, G. Ünlü, B. Swanson, and Y. Liu. 2013. Using Fourier transform infrared (FT-IR) spectroscopy to detect sublethally- or lethally- stressed Listeria innocua treated with acetic acid. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 54 (2): 456-462.
- Han, Y.T., N. Tammineni, G. Ünlü, B. Rasco, and C. Nindo. 2013. Inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes on rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) using trout skin gelatin edible films containing nisin. Journal of Food Chemistry and Nutrition. Journal of Food Chemistry and Nutrition. 1 (1): 6-15.
- Tammineni, N., G. Ünlü, B. Rasco, J. Powers, S. Sablani, and C. Nindo. 2013. Trout Skin Gelatin-Based Edible Films Containing Phenolic Antioxidants: Effect on Physical Properties and Oxidative Stability of Cod Liver Oil Model Food. Journal of Food Science. 77 (11): E342-347. Article first published online: 26 OCT 2012 DOI: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2012.02964.x
- Tammineni, N., G. Ünlü, and S. Min. 2012. Development of antimicrobial potato peel waste-based edible films with oregano essential oil to inhibit Listeria monocytogenes on cold-smoked salmon. Journal of International Food Science and Technology. Article first published online: 22 AUG 2012. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2621.2012.03156.x.
- Dimitrieva-Moats, G.Yu., and G. Ünlü. 2012. Development of Freeze-Dried Bacteriocin-Containing Preparations from Lactic Acid Bacteria to Inhibit Listeria monocytogenes and Staphylococcus aureus. Probiotics and Antimicrobial Proteins 4 (1): 27-38. Article first published online: 06 DEC 2011. DOI 10.1007/s12602-011-9088-1.
- Soeryapranata, E., J.R. Powers, and G. Ünlü. 2008. Degradation of αs1-CN f1-23 by aminopeptidase N and endopeptidases E, O, O2, and O3 of Lactobacillus helveticus WSU19 under cheese ripening conditions. Int. Dairy J. 18 (2): 178-186.
- Soeryapranata, E., J.R. Powers, and G. Ünlü. 2007. Cloning and characterization of debittering peptidases, PepE, PepO, PepO2, PepO3, and PepN, of Lactobacillus helveticus WSU19. Int. Dairy J. 17 (9): 1096-1106.
- K. Makarova, A. Slesarev, Y. Wolf, A. Sorokin, E. Koonin, A. Pavlov, V. Karamychev, N. Polouchine, V. Shakhova, B. Mirkin, I. Grigoriev, Y. Lou, D. Rohksar, S.M. Lucas, K. Huang, D.M. Goodstein, T.H. Hawkins, V. Plengvidhya, D. Welker, J. Hughes, Y. Goh, A. Benson, K. Baldwin, J.-H. Lee, I. Dias, B. Dosti, V. Smeianov, W. Wechter, R. Barabote, G. Lorca, R. Barrangou, E. Alterman, B. Ganesan, X. Yie, H. Rawsthorne, D. Tamir, C. Parker, F. Breidt, J. Broadbent, R. Hutkins, D. O’Sullivan, J. Steele, G. Ünlü, M. Saier, T.R. Klaenhammer, P. Richardson, S. Kozyavkin, B. Weimer, D.A. Mills. Comparative genomics of the lactic acid bacteria. 2006. PNAS 103 (42): 15611-15616.
- Agarwal, S., K. Sharma, B.G. Swanson, G. Ünlü (Yüksel), and S. Clark. 2006. Non-starter lactic acid bacteria biofilms and calcium lactate crystals in Cheddar cheese. J. Dairy Sci. 89 (5): 1452-1466.
- Dimitrieva-Moats, G.Yu., R.L. Crawford, and G. Ünlü (Yüksel). 2006. The nature of plant growth-promoting effects of a pseudoalteromonad associated with the marine algae Laminaria japonica and linked to catalase excretion. J. Appl. Microbiol. 100 (5): 1159-1169.
- Weekes, J. and G. Ünlü (Yüksel). 2004. Molecular characterization of two lactate dehydrogenase genes with a novel structural organization on the genome of Lactobacillus sp. MONT4. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 70 (10): 6290-6295.
- Biotechnology Division 2012-13 Outstanding Volunteer Award, The Institute of the Food Technologists, 2013
- Fulbright Research Fellow (2013), The Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program, 2012
- Sabbatical Leave Award (2013), University of Idaho, 2012
- Alumni Award for Excellence, University of Idaho Alumni Association, University of Idaho, 2012
- Fellow for The Food and Health Entrepreneurship Academy, University of California-Davis, CA, 2009
- Lactic Acid Bacteria Industrial Platform (LABIP) Award, 8th Symposium on Lactic Acid Bacteria, Egmond aan Zee, The Netherlands, 2005
- Alumni Award for Excellence, University of Idaho Alumni Association, University of Idaho, 2004
- Alumni Award for Excellence, University of Idaho Alumni Association, University of Idaho, 2002