High School Writing Contest
The University of Idaho Hemingway Festival High School Writing Contest was created to develop young writers in our communities and show students how they have the power to change the world through the written word. With this in mind, the English Department and the College of Letters Arts and Social Sciences are excited to celebrate the lasting legacy of Hemingway's presence in Idaho by offering the UI Hemingway Festival High School Writing Contest. In the spirit of Mary Hemingway’s vision for establishing the Ernest Hemingway Foundation, this contest was designed “for the purposes of awakening, sustaining an interest in, promoting, fostering, stimulating, supporting, improving and developing literature and all forms of literary composition and expression” (Mary Hemingway, 1965).
This year’s submission period will run from Dec. 1, 2016, through Jan. 29, 2017, and is open to all high school juniors and seniors. Decisions will be made by Feb. 10, 2017.
Enter in any or all categories:
- Fiction – Including short stories, flash fiction, etc.
- Creative Nonfiction – Including personal narrative, memoir, travel stories, journalism feature stories, etc.
- Academic Essay – Including research papers, etc. All academic essays must have a theme relating to Ernest Hemingway.
- Poetry – Including individual poems and collections of up to five poems.
- Submission Period: December 1, 2016 – January 29, 2017
- Eligibility: Open to all high school juniors and seniors.
- Entry Fee: Free
Winners and Finalists will be recognized at the 8th Annual University of Idaho Hemingway Festival Literary Evening on March 4, 2017, in Moscow, Idaho. Cash prizes will be awarded in each category. Winners will also be considered for publication in an online University of Idaho publication. There will be one winner and one Finalist in each category with one Overall Grand Prize Winner.
Winner from each category will:
- Receive a $100 prize
- Read their winning entry at the UI Hemingway Festival Literary Evening, on the evening of March 4, 2017, in Moscow, ID
- Receive free admission to the UI Hemingway Festival Literary Evening plus one complimentary ticket
- Entries must be original, unpublished work. By submitting work to the contest, the student is confirming that he or she is the author.
- One submission per category only. Submissions may be uploaded in DOC, DOCX, or PDF formats.
- All submissions must be shorter than 2000 words.
- Each submission must include the student’s name, high school, year of graduation, home address and the submission category.
- All submissions must be sent to email@example.com with the subject line "High School Writing Contest."
- Winners and Finalists must be present at the 8th Annual UI Hemingway Festival Literary Evening, March 4, 2017, to accept awards and read winning entries.
- Submitting to the contest signals agreement to all contest rules, assent to publication and assent to public recognition as a winner or finalist in all University of Idaho electronic and print media.
All submissions will be judged by University of Idaho instructors and graduate students.