Visit UI

Learn about the many reasons the University of Idaho could be a perfect fit for you. Schedule Your Visit

Parent Orientation

Students and parents can learn their way around campus and discover the many opportunities at UI. Orientation events are Aug. 18-21. Register

UI Retirees Association

UIRA has a membership of nearly 500 from every part of the University.

Funding Opportunities

For corporate and foundation funding contact: Corporate and Foundation Relations
For government and federal funding contact: Research & Economic Development

UI Internal Funding Opportunities

What do they do: The UICI supports UI researchers who are interested in conducting research on China and Chinese culture. The UICI provides a bridge to connect researchers to various institutions and supports in U.S. and China.

Who should contact them: These opportunities are open to all UI faculty and students.

When to contact: The sooner you contact the Confucius Institute the better. Sometimes work in China takes longer than in the U.S.. They are happy to help at any point, but earlier is always better.

Whom to contact: Matthew Wappett, UICI co-director at

What do they do: The International Programs Office (IPO) pursues grants that bring international students, scholars, mid-career professionals, teachers and community leaders to UI for training, teaching, and/or academic study. Grants range from 5 days to two years.

IPO collaborates with UI colleges and departments works closely with a number of partners.  These include:

  • Center for Intercultural Education and Development (CIED) at Georgetown University
  • Institute of International Education (IIE)
  • International Research and Exchanges Board (IREX)
  • Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State
  • U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)

Who should contact them: CLASS faculty or administrators who are interested in partnering with IPO on grants.

When to contact: As early in the process as possible. This is especially critical if you want IPO to have a significant role in the writing of the grant and/or have IP staff serve as PIs or Co-PIs on the project.

Whom to contact: Bob Neuenschwander

The Kurt O. Olsson Early Career Research Fellowship (ECRF) program aims to help recently hired faculty develop scholarly/creative programs that promote research and creative activities in the humanities, arts, and social sciences that will attract outside funding, and/or that will result in publications, patents or exhibitions/performances. Download Document

Who qualifies for sabbatical leave? Members of the UI faculty with tenure at the time of sabbatical leave, and the rank of senior instructor or above, or the equivalent of such rank, may be granted sabbatical leave after six full academic years of service at UI or after six full academic years have elapsed since the faculty member’s most recent sabbatical leave at UI.

To find out more about sabbatical leave, refer to the Faculty Staff Handbook.

The fund supports the study of any subject connected with the history of the states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho or Montana, for which a portion of the chronology occurred during the territorial and early statehood period.

The committee awards subventions for research, preservation of archival and manuscript collections, student assistantships, travel, exhibitions, conferences, or acquisitions of rare books, manuscripts, artifacts, photocopies and images. Faculty members are not eligible for salary stipends.

Contact Mark Warner for more information.

What they do: Corporate and Foundation Relations helps UI faculty and staff find and apply for funding from corporations and foundations for everything from creative works to research projects. CFR also provides profiles on particular foundations and corporations and offers grant-writing assistance, training and other resources.

Contact them to:
When to contact: If you’re interested in finding funding opportunities of all kinds via setting up a Pivot account, or if you’re interested in having the office staff search for possible matches with foundation and corporate and individual donors; the office can also help with proposal development. To learn more go to: Find Corporate Funding.

Whom to contact: Send us an email or meet our team.

Corporate & Foundation Relations website

What do they do: The Seed Grant program is sponsored by the UI Office of Research and Economic Development. The program’s objectives are to promote research, outreach and creative activities in all branches of learning that will improve competitiveness for external funding, and/or which will result in publications, patents or exhibitions/performances appropriate to the PI’s discipline.

Who should apply: The primary purpose of the program is to support early career faculty establishing a scholarly program; early career faculty are those who have been at the UI five years or less and/or are still assistant professors.

When should I apply: Proposals are due to the CLASS office no later than Feb. 10, 2016. If you are considering submitting a seed grant proposal, please contact Alisa Goolsby prior to the Feb. 10 deadline. You may visit the seed grant website for additional information.

Whom to contact: Alisa Goolsby and Sarah Koerber, Proposal Development Specialist.

The CLASS Undergraduate Collaborative Research Key Grant is designed to encourage collaboration between CLASS faculty and undergraduate students on scholarly or creative projects, which may include articles or books, conferences, performances, productions, workshops, travel and professional development experiences.

Final grant submissions due to the CLASS office Feb. 29. Download Word Doc


Find out the latest in humanities and social science funding news.

Learn More >

* UI Pivot training is available from the ORED proposal development specialist or from Corporate and Foundation Relations.

External Opportunities

NOTE: The links below reference both granting organizations as well as websites that provide directories of funding opportunities. Many corporations and foundations limit the number and type of submissions one institution can submit.  If you’d like to approach a corporation or foundation on this list, please contact Corporate and Foundation Relations.


College of Letters, Arts & Social Sciences

Physical Address:
112 Administration Bldg
851 Campus Drive

Mailing Address:
College of Letters, Arts & Social Sciences
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3154
Moscow, ID 83844-3154

Phone: 208-885-6426

Fax: 208-885-8964


Web: College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences