Assistant Professor & Extension Specialist — Barley Agronomy
Aberdeen Research and Extension Center
University of Idaho
1693 S. 2700 W.
Aberdeen, ID 83210
Jared researches sustainable irrigated and dryland barley production strategies with emphasis on soil nutrient management for yield, end-use quality (malt, feed and food), plant health, and soil and water quality.
Ph.D., University of Minnesota, 2020
M.S., University of Minnesota, 2018
B.S., Brigham Young University – Idaho, 2014
- Reevaluate nutrient management guidelines for malt, feed, food and forage barley production
- Reevaluate nutrient management guidelines for hard red, hard white and soft white wheat production
- Evaluate nitrogen credits for barley following alfalfa production
- Develop liming rate recommendations for acidic southeastern Idaho soils
- Mookodi, K.L., J.A. Spackman, and A.T. Adjesiwor.2023. Urea Ammonium Nitrate as the Carrier for Pre-plant Burndown Herbicides. Agrosystems, Geosciences & Environment. https://doi.org/10.1002/agg2.20404
- Alexander, J.R., J.A. Spackman, M.L. Wilson, F.G. Fernández, and R.T. Venterea. 2021. Capture efficiency of four chamber designs for measuring ammonia emissions. Agrosystems, Geosciences and Environment. 4:e20199. https://doi.org/10.1002/agg2.20199
- Spackman, J.A. and F.G. Fernández. 2020. Microplotdesign and plant and soil sample preparation for 15nitrogen analysis. JOVE. 159:e61191. doi:10.3791/61191
- Spackman, J.A., F.G. Fernández, J.A. Coulter, D.E. Kaiser, G.D. Paiao. 2019. Soil texture and precipitation influence optimal time of nitrogen fertilization for corn. Agron. J. 111:1–13. doi:10.2134/agronj2018.09.0605
- Paiao, G.D., F.G. Fernández, J.A. Spackman, D.E. Kaiser, S. Weisberg. 2020. Ground-based optical canopy sensing technologies for corn-nitrogen management in the Upper Midwest. Agron. J. 112(4):2998–3011. doi:10.1002/agj2.20248
Spackman was raised in southern Idaho where he worked on local farms and for a fertilizer co-op. His masters and doctoral work emphasized nitrogen management for corn cropping systems in the U.S. Midwest. His research and Extension articles have covered topics of nitrogen fertilizer rate, source and timing in relation to corn, barley, and wheat uptake and use efficiency in the soil-corn system.
- George Rehm Nutrient Management Fellowship, 2019. (1 of 2 awards)
- College of Food, Agriculture, and Natural Resource Science Graduate Student Board Professional Development Grant, 2018; 2019.
- Minnesota’s Discovery, Research, and InnoVation Economy Global Food Ventures Fellowship, 2018-2019. (1 of 8 awards)
- Hueg-Harrison Fellowship, 2018-2019. (1 of 2 awards)
- Minnesota Association of Professional Soil Scientists Scholarship, 2015; 2019. (1 of 2 awards)
- Baker Kuehnast Travel Scholarship, 2018.