Food & Nutrition, B.S.
Optimizing Human Health and Happiness
Food is an integral part of every life. When food is nutritious, delicious and culturally relevant, human health is optimized. In this program, you will receive foundational knowledge in anatomy, physiology and biochemistry to understand how the body utilizes food. Explore how to prepare food and develop recipes to be appealing and nutrient dense. Plan menus and prepare meals to meet the needs of individuals and groups. Learn about macro and micronutrients, nutritional biochemistry and how nutritional needs of humans change throughout the lifespan. Assess nutritional status and provide nutrition education and counseling to prevent chronic disease and optimize health.
- Learn the science behind cooking
- Experiment with ingredients and recipe modifications
- Develop unique recipes
- Plan menus on a budget
- Learn about factors that affect food choices
- Conduct nutrition assessments
- Analyze recipes, diets and menus
- Learn to operate food service equipment in the Carmelita Spencer Foods Laboratory
- Apply for the M.S. Dietetics as part of the 3 + 2 Program