Marshall Building, Room 120
Aberdeen Research and Extension Center
University of Idaho
1693 S 2700 W
Aberdeen, ID 83210
Alan conducts field trials for multiple chemical companies. Our research works with new unlabeled fungicides and the continued efficacy of labeled fungicides.
- Pectobacterium atrosepticum
- Alternaria solani
- Pythium ultimum
- Colletotrichum coccodes
- Phytophthora erythroseptica
- Rhizoctonia solani
- Verticillium dahliae
- P.S. Wharton, K.L. Malek and A. Malek 2018. Modelling effects of climate change on the over winter survival of Phytophthora infestans in potato tubers in Idaho. 10th ASDS Proceedings.
- Katie Fairchild, Alan Malek, Phillip S. Wharton 2017. Occurrence of fungicide resistance in Alternaria populations to commonly used fungicides in Idaho. 2017 APS Annual Meeting.
- A.L. Malek, K.L. Fairchild, S. Dangi, and P.S. Wharton 2019. Evaluation of fungicide programs for the control of Early Die in potato in Idaho. 2019 PAA Annual Meeting.
- Alan Malek, Katie Malek, Shelbie Anderson, Phillip Wharton 2021. The use of volatile organic compounds to control postharvest potato diseases. 2021 WPC Annual Meeting.
I’ve always loved being around agriculture. My grandparents farmed and ranched in northeast Montana, which fueled that fire. I spent a few years during and after college custom harvesting across the United States but was always pulled back to southeastern Idaho where I was born, raised and love. When not out in the fields or in the lab, I love skiing, golfing and a lot of other outdoor recreational activities.