Ph.D. Food Science
Exploring What We Eat
A doctorate gives graduates the professional and leadership skills to succeed in food and allied industries, government or academia. Students interact with faculty at both the University of Idaho and Washington State University, allowing for a more diverse education and access to research facilities at both institutions.
Your program of study will be individualized based on your research interests, academic experience and collaboration with your major advisor. You will conduct innovative and high-quality research to solve emerging problems in food science. Our faculty are exploring issues like E. coli, dairy chemistry and processing, food safety and processing, bacterial pathogens, mycotoxins, microbiology and bioactive packaging.
- Work for universities, the FDA or USDA, and with major food manufacturers
- Apply for research or teaching assistantships
- Lead research projects and publish your findings
- Collaborate through grant-funded research projects
- Get hands-on experience through cooperative teaching and research facilities