Ph.D. in Animal Physiology
Ph.D. in Animal Physiology
Advance the animal agriculture industry with a Ph.D. in animal physiology. This research-focused program provides greater insight into biological processes through a multidisciplinary perspective. You’ll focus on topics related to biochemistry, cellular and molecular biology and veterinary medicine.
The Department of Animal, Veterinary and Food Sciences is both an innovator and agent of change in Idaho’s agriculture industry. We strive to conduct comprehensive, integrated research, with our Ph.D. candidates leading the way. At the same time, the future of the nation’s animal agriculture sector depends on the next generation of professionals. We seek to introduce our students to current techniques and concepts through focused teaching and Extension programs on campus and throughout Idaho, and with hands-on experiences in the classroom and laboratories.
You’ll be expected to conduct original research in an animal science area that interests you while demonstrating the quality of your analysis and innovation of thought through oral and written communication skills. You’ll select a specialization related to animal growth, nutrition or reproduction before developing a hypothesis, conducting qualitative and quantitative experiments and, after analyzing your data, clearly and accurately presenting your research. Equipping you for a career in academia, research or industry, you’ll produce a dissertation representative of your findings and content knowledge and publish articles reflecting your research in scholarly journals or industry publications.
Utilizing on-campus facilities and living laboratories across the state, our Ph.D. candidates’ research shapes the evolution of responsible breeding practices, meat and dairy production, animal well-being and areas of the agriculture industry related to nutritional and metabolic issues, lactation, genetics, immune function and endocrine physiology.
Review the requirements for the Ph.D. in animal physiology degree program and apply today. Transform the field of animal agriculture and conduct industry-defining research.
- Complete 78 credits beyond a bachelor’s or professional degree.
- Research and teaching assistantships are available.
- Attend graduate seminars and assist with teaching undergraduate students.
- Conduct research and present your expertise in your specialization, general animal science content knowledge, experimental design and data analysis.
- All Ph.D. candidates have access to animal science laboratories.
- Present at national society meetings and compete for cash prizes at the Annual Student Research Expo.
- Candidates who complete the program are eligible to sit for the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination, a requirement for practicing veterinary medicine in the U.S. and Canada.
- Prepare for a career as a professor, research scientist, animal scientist, animal breeder or consultant in veterinary medicine.