Associate Professor & Extension Specialist — Range Livestock & Sheep
Ellison's research focuses primarily on the effects of grazing livestock on wildlife and range.
Ph.D., University of Wyoming, 2016
M.S., University of Wyoming, 2013
B.S., University of Wyoming, 2011
- Interactions among grazing livestock, wildlife and rangelands
- Grazing management systems on extensive rangelands
- Grazing livestock behavior and nutrition
- Grazing management in riparian systems and wildfire burn areas
- Use of virtual fence for grazing management
- Sheep and cattle production
- Randall, K. J., M. J. Ellison†, J. V. Yelich, W. J. Price, and T. N. Johnson. 2022. Changes in forage quality and cattle performance with short-duration grazing of Intermountain West mesic meadows. Rangeland Ecology and Management. 87(2023):13-21. DOI: 10.1016/j.rama.2022.10.005.
- Southerland, C. N., J. B. Taylor, J. V. Yelich, and M. J. Ellison†. 2022. Refined methodology for identification of bitterness aversion in mature rams through quantification of fluid intake and behavioral response to phenylthiocarbamide. Applied Animal Behavior Science. 254(2022):105706. DOI: 10.1016/j.applanim.2022.105706.
- Randall, K. J., M. J. Ellison, J. V. Yelich, W. J. Price, and T. N. Johnson†. 2022. Managing forbs preferred by Greater sage-grouse and soil moisture in mesic meadows with short-duration grazing. Rangeland Ecology and Management. 82(2022):66-75. DOI: 10.1016/j.rama.2022.02.008.
- Ellison, M. J. †, R. R. Cockrum, W. J. Means, A. M. Meyer, J. Ritten, K. J. Austin, and K. M. Cammack. 2022. Effects of feed efficiency and diet on performance and carcass characteristics in growing wether lambs. Small Ruminant Research. 207(2022):106611. DOI: 10.1016/j.smallrumres.2021.106611.
- Karl, J. W., J. Yelich, M. J. Ellison, and D. Lauritzen. 2019. Estimates of willow (Salix spp.) canopy volume using unmanned aerial systems. Rangeland Ecology and Management. 73(4): 531-537. DOI: 10.1016/j.rama.2020.03.001.
- Henslee, D., J. Yelich, J. B. Taylor, and M. J. Ellison†. 2019. Avoidance of Phenylthiocarbamide in mature Targhee and Rambouillet rams. Translational Animal Science. 3(4):1194-1204. DOI: 10.1093/tas/txz125.
- 2022 Excellence in Extension Team Award – University of Idaho Extension