Professor, Dairy Extension Specialist
Dalton’s research is focused on increasing the efficiency of artificial insemination in dairy cattle, including sperm dosage, heat detection accuracy, synchronization programs, AI technician proficiency and identification of fertility markers.
Ph.D., Virginia Tech
M.S., Utah State
B.S., Cal Poly
- Menegatti Zoca, S., B. Shafii, W.J. Price, M.D. Utt, B.R. Harstine, K. McDonald, L. Cruppe, J.M. DeJarnette, L.D. Peters, J.L.M. Vasconcelos, and J.C. Dalton. 2020. Angus sire field fertility and in vitro sperm characteristics following use of different sperm insemination doses in Brazilian beef cattle. Theriogenology 147:146-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2019.11.021
- Claypool, C.K., J.A. Spencer, S. Menegatti Zoca, B. Shafii, W.J. Price, A. Ahmadzadeh, N.R. Rimbey, and J.C. Dalton. 2019. Short Communication: Reproduction outcomes in dairy heifers following a 14-d progesterone insert presynchronization protocol. J. Dairy Sci. 102:11730-11735. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2019-17000
- Kiser, J.N., E. Clancey, J.G.N. Moraes, J. Dalton, G.W. Burns, T.E. Spencer, and H.L. Neibergs. 2019. Identification of loci associated with conception rate in primiparous Holstein cows. BMC Genomics. 20:840. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12864-019-6203-2
- Oliver, K.F., A.M. Wahl, M. Dick, J.A. Toenges, J.N. Kiser, J.M. Galliou, J.G.N. Moraes, G.W. Burns, J. Dalton, T.E. Spencer, and H.L. Neibergs. 2019. Genomic analysis of spontaneous abortion in Holstein heifers and primiparous cows. Genes. 10:954. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/genes10120954
- Kiser, J.N., E.M. Keuter, C.M. Seabury, M. Neupane, J.G.N. Moraes, J. Dalton, G.W. Burns, T.E. Spencer, and H.L. Neibergs. 2019. Validation of 46 loci associated with female fertility traits in cattle. BMC Genomics. 20:576-589. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12864-019-5935-3
- Clancey, E., J.N. Kiser, J.G.N. Moraes, J.C. Dalton, T.E. Spencer, and H.L. Neibergs. 2019. Genome-wide association and gene set enrichment analysis-SNP identify genes associated with 305-day milk yield in Holstein dairy cows. Animal Genetics. 50:254-258. doi: 10.1111/age.12792
- Davenport, K.M., J.A. Spencer, J.J. Peak, J.C. Dalton, and B.M. Murdoch. 2018. Genomic testing of female Holsteins: A resource for selection and improvement. Trans. Anim. Sci. 2: Suppl. 1: S149–S154. https://doi.org/10.1093/tas/txy033
- Johnson, C.R., M.W. Ayers, A. Ahmadzadeh, B. Shafii, S. Etter, R.C. Chebel, and J.C. Dalton. 2012. Short Communication: Characterization of early postpartum estrous behavior and ovulation in lactating dairy cows using radiotelemetry. J. Dairy Sci. 95:5085-5088.
- Dalton, J.C., L. Deragon, J.L.M. Vasconcelos, C.N. Lopes, R.F.G. Peres, and A. Ahmadzadeh. 2012. Fertility-associated antigen on Nelore bull sperm and reproductive outcomes following first-service fixed-time AI of Nelore cows and heifers. Theriogenology. 77:389–394.