Questions to Ask Your Advisor
Getting ready to meet with your U of I advisor for the first time can be overwhelming, but it doesn't have to be. Take a look at where you want to go and find the best way to get there. Explore your options. Make your own decisions, but use your resources.
Here are some questions you can ask your advisor to get the conversation started. Print out the list or download it to your phone and bring it with you to your appointment.
- Which classes do I need to take for this major?
- Which electives will help but aren’t on this list of degree requirements?
- How do I graduate on time?
- How do I change, add or remove a major (or minor)?
- How do I read the course catalog online?
- What can I do if a class is difficult?
- Where do I go for help if “stuff” comes up and I start to struggle?
- Are there clubs I should join?
- Can you tell me about drop/add dates and withdrawing with a "W"?
- How can I make sure I'm on track in my degree program?
- What if I don't know what major I want to have, but I have a couple ideas right now?
- I know I want to do _____ for a career; is this major the best way to get there?
- What’s your favorite Vandal tradition?
- What’s the best way to get in touch with you?