Future Undergraduate Students
Becoming a music major in three steps:
- Apply online to the School of Music and register for an audition. Auditions on the student's main instrument or voice are required for all undergraduate degrees in music.
- Apply online to the University of Idaho.
- Complete an in-person or Zoom or recorded audition, which is detailed below.
Audition Deadline (for priority consideration for admission and scholarships): Feb. 24, 2024.
All prospective undergraduate music majors are required to audition for admittance into the Lionel Hampton School of Music on a primary instrument or voice. Please see audition requirements and forms below.
- Audition Days Information
- Recommended Audition Repertoire
- Criteria for Admission and Advancement in Studio Instruction
List of Primary Instruments
Student must audition for admission to the School of Music on one of these instruments or voice:
- Double Bass (String Bass)
- Guitar (Classical)
Schedule an audition by completing the Music School Application. Options for in-person auditions include attending our 2023 Audition Day in person or via Zoom sessions. You may schedule an alternate audition time during the week or weekend, depending on the faculty's availability. Instrumental auditions are normally unaccompanied.
Vocalists are welcome to bring their own accompanists to campus, but if this is not possible a pianist will be provided to sight-read the accompaniment.
- Western Washington. Federal Way Area.
- January 20, 2023 | Sequoyah Middle School
- Southwest Washington. Vancouver Area
- January 21, 2023 | Prairie High School
- Southwest Idaho. Treasure Valley Area
- January 28, 2023 | Eagle High School
- Southeast Idaho, Idaho Falls Area
- January 31, 2023 | Hillcrest High School
Since in-person auditions are not possible for all students, we also welcome auditions via video recording. Please complete the Music School Application prior to sending in your video recording. Please email your digital files, YouTube videos and dropbox links to email@example.com.
If you are auditioning on more than one instrument, put each instrument in a separate video. Remember to view your video recording before sending it; video recordings are sometimes inaudible. All recordings become the property of the Lionel Hampton School of Music and will not be returned.
Over 150 merit–based scholarships are awarded to music students each year. Awards are based on entrance auditions. Priority consideration is given to those who audition by the last Saturday of February and have a 3.0 high school GPA.