Mark Roll, Ph.D.
Mark Roll, Ph.D.
Director of Materials Science and Engineering , Associate Professor
McClure Hall 407C
Chemical & Materials Engineering
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive, MS 1021
Moscow, ID 83844-1021
- Ph.D., Macromolecular Science & Engineering, University of Michigan, 2010
- B.E., Mechanical Engineering, The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, 2002
- Materials Chemistry
- Macromolecular Clusters
- Quartz Crystal Microbalance
- Polymers and Composites
Mark Roll came to the University of Idaho in 2011 to focus on the area of soft materials, including polymers, composites, organic/inorganic hybrid materials and biologically relevant materials particularly for thin-film applications in the area of energy and photolithography. The nano-structure of these materials and their resulting properties are of special interest.
Current research projects focus on polyoxometalate, silsesquioxane, diamondoid and boron clusters, with funding from the Office of Naval Research, the Semiconductor Research Corporation, and the Donors of the American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund.
2011- present — Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical & Materials Engineering
2015 - present — Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Idaho
2010 - 2011— National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Polymers Division
- National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2009
- University of Michigan Rackham Regents Fellowship, 2002
- National Science Foundation IGERT Fellowship, 2002
- Cooper Union Full Tuition Scholarship, 1998
Publications (Peer Reviewed):
- Mark F. Roll. “Ionic Borohydride Clusters for the Next Generation of Boron Thin-Films: Nano-Building Blocks for Electrochemical and Refractory Materials.” Journal of Materials Research, Accepted.
- Fischer, J.; Stampka, T.; Mark F. Roll. “A Direct Synthesis of the Styrylimido Derivative of the Hexamolybdate Dianion.” Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan, 23, 813-815 (2015).
- Michaela R Petersen; An Chen; Mark Roll; S J Jung; Mostafa Yossef. “Mechanical Properties of Fire-Retardant Glass Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Materials with Alumina Tri-Hydrate Filler.” Composites Part B, 78, 109-121 (2015).
- Mark F. Roll, Kampf, J.W.; Laine, R.M. “Halogen Bonding Motifs in Polyhedral Phenylsilsesquioxanes: Effects of Systematic Variations in Geometry or Substitution.” Crystal Growth and Design, 11, 4360-7 (2011).
- Mark F. Roll, Kampf, J.W.; Laine, R.M. “Crystalline Polyphenylene Macromolecular Clusters From Octaalkynylsilsesquioxanes, their Crystal Structures and a Potential Route to 3-D Graphenes.” Macromolecules 44, 3425-35 (2011).
- Mark F. Roll, Kim, Y.; Yi, E.; Kampf, J.W.; Laine, R.M. “Nano Building Blocks via Iodination of [PhSiO1.5]n, Forming [p-I-C6H4SiO1.5]n (n = 8, 10, 12), and a New Route to High-Surface-Area, Thermally Stable, Microporous Materials via Thermal Elimination of I2.” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 132, 10171–83 (2010).
- Mark F. Roll, Asuncion, M.Z.; Kampf, J.W.; Laine, R.M.. “Para-Octaiodophenylsilsesquioxane [p-IC6H4SiO1.5]8, A Nearly Perfect Nano-Building Block” ACS Nano 2008, 2, 320-326.