Degrees in Biological Engineering
Our department offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in biological engineering.
- M.Engr. Biological Engineering
- M.S. Biological Engineering
- Ph.D. Biological Engineering
- Download the Graduate Handbook pdf
Study biological systems and integrate them with fundamental principles of engineering for the purpose of designing processes and systems that influence, control or utilize biological materials and organisms to benefit humanity.
Blending the study of engineering with biology, chemistry, math, and physics, the Biological Engineering program prepares you to solve engineering problems in biotechnology, agriculture, environment, natural resources, medicine and pharmaceutics.
Design components, systems and processes for areas like healthcare technology, precision agriculture, sustainable bioenergy and environmental remediation. Much of your education takes place in the laboratory.
- No. 1 Best Value Public University in the West – ranked for the second year in a row by U.S. News and World Report. We’re also the only public university in Idaho to be ranked best value by Forbes, Money, and The Princeton Review.
- Top 7 in the Nation for “infusing real-world experiences into engineering education” through our undergraduate Senior Capstone Design Program – National Academy of Engineering
- Personalized Attention from nationally and internationally recognized faculty and staff through small class sizes, 1-on-1 interaction, mentorship, advising and research collaboration. All faculty hold Ph.D.s in their field.
- 92% Graduate with Jobs or are enrolled in graduate education or military service – First Destination Survey
- Highest Salary Earnings for early- and mid-career undergraduate degree recipients than any other public university in Idaho – Payscale
- More Scholarships Awarded than any 4-year public engineering college in Idaho.
- Hands-On Experience, Guaranteed ALL U of I College of Engineering students participate in hands-on experiences, through our nationally recognized Senior Capstone Design Program and Engineering Design EXPO, Cooperative Education Program (Co-op), Idaho’s only Grand Challenge Scholars Program and paid undergraduate assistantships.
Pioneering Plant-Based Jet Fuels
Student Optimizes Jet Fuel Additives While Reducing Carbon Emissions
Weather Under an Eclipse
Students Record Gravity Waves Using Weather Balloons