Design and create more efficient biological and chemical processes to benefit society, advance technology, and reduce negative impacts on our planet.
- Enhance human health and quality of life.
- Solve environmental problems.
- Improve energy independence.
Build skills to decrease pollution, clean water, make sustainable energy, utilize precision and regenerative agriculture, engineering better medicines, regenerate tissues and organs, process chemicals and foods, fabricate advanced materials, and refine oil and other petroleum products. Reach your goals through collaboration with our broad network of partners from all fields of life science, chemistry, physics, engineering, and beyond.
The University of Idaho Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees.
Experience the difference and what it means to engineer like a Vandal.
- No. 1 Best Value Public University in the West – ranked for the second year in a row by U.S. News and World Report. We’re also the only public university in Idaho to be ranked best value by Forbes, Money, and The Princeton Review.
- Top 7 in the Nation for “infusing real-world experiences into engineering education” through our undergraduate Senior Capstone Design Program – National Academy of Engineering
- Personalized Attention from nationally and internationally recognized faculty and staff through small class sizes, 1-on-1 interaction, mentorship, advising and research collaboration. All faculty hold Ph.D.s in their field.
- 90% Graduate with Jobs or are enrolled in graduate education or military service – First Destination Survey
- Highest Salary Earnings for early- and mid-career undergraduate degree recipients than any other public university in Idaho – Payscale
- More Scholarships Awarded than any 4-year public engineering college in Idaho. – 2020/21 Financial Aid Data
- Hands-On Experience, Guaranteed ALL U of I College of Engineering students participate in hands-on experiences, through our nationally recognized Senior Capstone Design Program and Engineering Design EXPO, Cooperative Education Program (Co-op), Idaho’s only Grand Challenge Scholars Program and paid undergraduate assistantships.
Degrees and Programs
Our department offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in chemical engineering and biological engineering.
The Micron Student Center provides academic advising, career services, tutoring and other support into one central location.
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree programs in chemical engineering and biological engineering at the University of Idaho are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.