The University of Idaho’s Department of Computer Science programs examine the field not solely in a vacuum of theories. Instead, our programs explore the ways computing and algorithmic thinking influence and intersect with other scientific and technical disciplines. This perspective shapes the structure for all undergraduate and graduate computer science programs. Our students benefit from a practical orientation to computer science; cutting-edge, world-class research; congenial, accessible faculty; and an active student population. Added to this, the department offers Idaho's only cybersecurity undergraduate program and computer science degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree levels.
Students may earn a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree in the field from our main campus in Moscow, Idaho; at our education center in Coeur d’Alene; or online through Engineering Outreach distance learning.
- No. 1 Best Value Public University in the West – ranked for the second year in a row by U.S. News and World Report. We’re also the only public university in Idaho to be ranked best value by Forbes, Money, and The Princeton Review.
- Top 7 in the Nation for “infusing real-world experiences into engineering education” through our undergraduate Senior Capstone Design Program – National Academy of Engineering
- CyberCorps®: Scholarship for Service (SFS) – Administered through U of I’s Center for Secure and Dependable Systems, the SFS program provides tuition stipends through the National Science Foundation of up to $25,000 for to train undergraduates for cybersecurity jobs at federal, state, local and tribal agencies.
- Personalized Attention from nationally and internationally recognized faculty and staff through small class sizes, 1-on-1 interaction, mentorship, advising and research collaboration. All faculty hold Ph.D.s in their field.
- 92% Graduate with Jobs or are enrolled in graduate education or military service – First Destination Survey
- Highest Salary Earnings for early- and mid-career undergraduate degree recipients than any other public university in Idaho – Payscale
- More Scholarships Awarded than any 4-year public engineering college in Idaho.
- Hands-On Experience, Guaranteed ALL U of I College of Engineering students participate in hands-on experiences, through our nationally recognized Senior Capstone Design Program and Engineering Design EXPO, Cooperative Education Program (Co-op), Idaho’s only Grand Challenge Scholars Program and paid undergraduate assistantships.
Degrees and Programs
Hone your skills as a software developer and gain technical knowledge in fundamental areas of computer science, including cybersecurity, graphics, games, evolutionary computation and software engineering.
The Computer Science Assistance Center (CSAC) as well as the Micron Student Center providing academic advising, career services, tutoring and other support into one central location.
Schedule a personalized campus tour of labs and facilities and meet our students, advisors, faculty and staff.
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree program in computer science at the University of Idaho is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET (http://www.abet.org).