Professor — Agricultural Engineer
James Martin Building, Room 78
Department of Soil and Water Systems
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive, MS 2060
Moscow, Idaho 83844-2060
- Ph.D., University of Idaho, 2003
- M.S., University of Minnesota, 1997
- B.S., Washington State University, 1993
- Landscape hydrology, precision agriculture
- Nutrient cycling and transport, water quality
- Erosion, sediment transport
- Hydropedology, ecohydrology
- Geospatial modeling, remote sensing
- Watershed management, precision agriculture
- Lew. R., M. Dobre, A. Srivastava, E.S. Brooks, W.J. Elliot, P.R. Robichaud, D.C. Flanagan. 2022. WEPPcloud: An online watershed-scale hydrologic modeling tool. Part I. Model description. Journal of Hydrology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2022.127603.
- Dobre, M., A. Srivastava, R. Lew, D. Chinmay, E.S. Brooks, W.J., Elliot, P.R. Robichaud. 2022. WEPPcloud: An online watershed-scale hydrologic modeling tool. Part II. Model performance assessment and applications to forest management and wildfires. J. Hydrol https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2022.127776.
- Deval, C., Brooks, E.S., M. Dobre, R. Lew, P.R. Robichaud, A. Fowler, J. Boll, Z.M. Easton, A.S. Collick 2022. Pi-VAT: A web-based visualization tool for decision support using spatially complex water quality model outputs. Journal of Hydrology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2022.127529.
- Deval, C., E.S. Brooks, J.A. Gravelle, T.E. Link, M. Dobre, W.J. Elliot. 2021. Long-term response in nutrient load from commercial forest management operations in a mountainous watershed. Forest Ecology and Management, 494, 119312, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2021.119312.
- Ortega-Pieck, A., Norby, J., Brooks, E.S., Strawn, D., Crump, A.R., Huggins, D.R. 2020. Sources and subsurface transport of dissolved reactive P in a semiarid, no-till catchment with complex topography. Journal of Environmental Quality. https://doi.org/10.1002/jeq2.20114.
- Yourek, M., E.S. Brooks, D.J. Brown, M. Poggio, C. Gasch. 2019. Development and application of the soil moisture routing (SMR) model to identify subfield-scale hydrologic classes in dryland cropping systems using the Budyko framework. J. Hydrology, 573:153-167, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.03.030.
- Pan, W.L., W.F. Schillinger, F.L. Young, E.M. Kirby, G.G. Yorgey, K.A. Borrelli, E.S. Brooks, V.A. McCracken, T.M. Maaz, S. Machado, I.J. Madsen, J.L. Johnson-Maynard, L.E. Port, K. Painter, D.R. Huggins, A.D. Esser, H.P. Collins, C.O. Stockle, S.D. Eigenbrode. 2017. Integrating Historic Agronomic and Policy Lessons with New Technologies to Drive Farmer Decisions for Farm and Climate: The Case of Inland Pacific Northwestern U.S. Frontiers in Environmental Science. https://doi.org/10.3389/fenvs.2017.00076.
- Ward, N.K., F. Maureira, E.S. Brooks, C.O. Stöckle, K.M. Painter, M.A. Yourek; C.K. Gasch. 2017. Simulating field-scale variability and precision management with a 3D hydrologic cropping systems model. Precision Agriculture, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11119-017-9517-6.
- Kelley, C.J., C.K. Keller, E.S. Brooks, J.L. Smith, C. Orr. R.D. Evans. 2017. Water and nitrogen movement through a semi-arid dryland agricultural catchment: Seasonal and decadal trends. Hydrological Processes, https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.11152.
- Brooks, E.S., M. Dobre, W.J. Elliot, J.Q. Wu, and J. Boll. 2016. Watershed-scale evaluation of the Water Erosion Prediction Project (WEPP) model in the Lake Tahoe basin. Journal of Hydrology, 533:389-402.
Erin Brooks research focuses on the site-specific management of complex ecosystems through extensive field-based experimentation and process-based spatially-explicit models. He has been the PI or Co-PI on numerous large interdisciplinary grants including the USDA funded REACCH, LIT and ISAID grants, and has been highly active in collaborative research with the USDA-ARS and USDA-Forest Service. This work has included fundamental landscape level hydrologic field experiments examining surface and subsurface nutrient transport, GIS-based distributed hydrologic, soil erosion, and crop modelling, in-stream sediment transport and nutrient cycling, forest fuel management and post wildfire mitigation treatments, spatial patterns in crop response and crop nitrogen uptake with remote sensing and modeling. His research has been conducted in widely diverse ecosystems including dryland agroecosystems, snow-dominated management forests, rangeland, tropical agricultural and forested ecosystems, perennial grasslands, deciduous forests and mixed urban environments. He has authored over 80 publications in scientific peer-reviewed journals.