Assistant Professor & Extension Specialist — Potato Postharvest Physiologist
North Greenhouse Facility, Room 112
Kimberly Research and Extension Center
University of Idaho
3806 N 3600 E
Kimberly, ID 83341-5082
My research addresses the challenges of reducing potato postharvest losses focusing on the physiological and biochemical modifications, and to create support for the Idaho potato growers, processors and shippers.
Ph.D., São Paulo State University, Brazil, 2005
M.Sc., São Paulo State University, Brazil, 2000
B.Sc., Federal University of Lavras, Brazil, 1998
- Determination of respiration rate and respiratory quotient (RQ) in different potato cultivars.
- Use of near infrared spectroscopy (NIR) as a non-destructive method to determine anthocyanins and carotenoids in specialty potatoes.
- Use of LED light to inhibit sprouting in potatoes.
The common thread among these research projects is to create support for the Idaho potato growers.
- My outreach and Extension program will allow me to interact with commercial growers, processors and shippers, at meetings, field days, visits, email and telephone. This program will be instrumental to all aspects of the Idaho potato industry via Extension publications and outreach activities including websites and social media tools (@TeixeiraUof).
- Sanches, A.G., Silva, M.B., Fernandes, T.F.S., Pedrosa, V.M.D., Wong, M.C.C., Gratão, P.L. Teixeira, G.H.A., Quarantine cold treatment hardness of ‘Palmer’ mangoes treated with polyols. Journal of The Science of Food and Agriculture, (in press).
- Brito, A.A., Campos, F., Nascimento, A.R., Damiani, C., Silva, F.A., Teixeira, G.H.A., Cunha Júnior, L.C. Non-destructive determination of color, titratable acidity, and dry matter in intact tomatoes using a portable vis-NIR spectrometer. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, v.107, p.104288, 2022. doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2021.104288.
- Fernandes, T.F.S., Silva, R.O., Freitas, D.L.D., Sanches, A.G., Silva, M.B., Cunha Júnior, L.C., Lima, K.G., Teixeira, G.H.A. Sex type determination in papaya seeds and leaves using near infrared spectroscopy combined with multivariate techniques and machine learning. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, v.193, p.106674, 2022. doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2021.106674.
- Sanches, A.G., Silva, M.B., Wong, M.C.C., Oliveira, A.R.G., Pedrosa, V.M.D., Fernandes, T.F.S., Gratao, P.L., Teixeira, G.H.A. Sorbitol immersion controls chilling injury in ca stored ‘Palmer’ mangoes. Postharvest Biology and Technology, v.185, p.111800, 2022. doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2021.111800.
- Speranca, M.A., Mayorquin-Guevara, J.E., Cruz, M.C.P., Teixeira, G.H.A., Pereira, F.M.V. Biofortification quality in bananas monitored by energy-dispersive x-ray fluorescence and chemometrics. Food Chemistry, v.362, p.130172, 2021. doi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2021.130172.
- Sanches, A.G., Pedrosa, V.M.D., Silva, M.B., Fernandes, T.F.S., Teixeira, G.H.A. Characterization and storage of Eugenia klotzschiana O. Berg fruits. Pesquisa Agropecuaria Tropical, v.51, p.e67228, 2021. doi: 10.1590/1983-40632021v5167228
- Brito, A.A., Campos, F., Nascimento, A.R., Correa, G.C., Silva, F.A., Teixeira, G.H.A., Cunha Júnior, L.C. Determination of soluble solid content in market tomatoes using near-infrared spectroscopy. Food Control, v.126, p.108068, 2021. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2021.108068.
- Sanches, A.G., Pedrosa, V.M.D., Checchio, M.V., Fernandes, T.F.S., Mayorquin-Guevara, J.E., Gratao, P.L., Teixeira, G.H.A. Polyols can alleviate chilling injury in ‘Palmer’ mangoes during cold storage. Food Control, v.129, p.108248, 2021. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2021.108248.
- Pedrosa, V.M.D., Sanches, A.G., Silva, M.B., Gratao, P.L., Isaac, V.L.B., Gingri, M., Teixeira, G.H.A. Production of mycosporine-like amino acid (MAA)-loaded emulsions as chemical barriers to control sunscald in fruits and vegetables. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, v.102, p.801-812, 2021. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.11415.
- Mayorquín-Guevara, J.E., Sanches, A.G., Pedrosa, V.M.D., Cruz, M.C.P., Silva, J.A.A., Teixeira, G.H.A. The injection of zinc sulfate into banana tree pseudostem can triple the zinc content and it is an effective method for fruit biofortification. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, v.102, p.104020, 2021. doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2021.104020.
- Carneiro, R.C.V., Ye, L., Baek, N., Teixeira, G.H.A., O’Keefe, S.F. Vine tea (Ampelopsis grossedentata): a review of chemical composition, functional properties, and potential food applications. Journal of Functional Foods, v.76, p.104317, 2021. doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2020.104317.
- Teixeira, G.H.A., Meakem, V., Morais, C.L.M., Lima, K.M.G., Whitehead, S. Conventional and alternative pre-harvest treatments affect the quality of ‘Golden Delicious’ and ‘York’ apple fruit. Environmental and Experimental Botany, v.173, p.104005, 2020. doi.org/10.1016/j.envexpbot.2020.104005.
- Oliveira, G.H.F., Murray, S.C., Cunha Júnior, L.C., Lima, K.M.G., Morais, C.L.M., Teixeira, G.H.A., Moro, G.V. Estimation and classification of popping expansion capacity in popcorn breeding programs using NIR spectroscopy. Journal of Cereal Science, v.91, p.102861, 2020. doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2019.102861.
- Oliveira, G.S., Leite, G.W.P., Teixeira, G.H.A. Feasibility of omega bench grafting in guava tree (Psidium guajava L.) propagated via herbaceous stem cutting. Journal of Horticultural Science & Biotechnology, v.95, p.229-234, 2020. doi.org/10.1080/14620316.2019.1661800.
- Leite, D.C., Correa, A.A.P., Cunha Júnior, L.C., Lima, K.M.G., Morais, C.L.M., Vianna, V.F., Teixeira, G.H.A., Di Mauro, A.O., Uneda-Trevisoli, S.H. Non-destructive genotypes classification and oil content prediction using near-infrared spectroscopy and chemometric tools in soybean breeding program. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, v.91, p.103536, 2020. doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2020.103536.
- Assis, M.W. D., Leite, G.W.P., Cunha Júnior, L.C., Prado, R.M., Amorim, E.P., Santos Neto, J.P., Carvalho, L.C., Teixeira, G.H.A. Tentative zinc biofortification of banana fruit via bunch spray and bunch stalk feeding. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, v.55, p.2893-2900, 2020. doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.14547.
- Brazilian National Council on Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), Ministry of Science and Technology (MCTI), Fellow 1D, 2022.
- Brazilian National Council on Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), Ministry of Science and Technology (MCTI), Fellow 2, 2018-2021.
- Brazilian National Council on Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), Ministry of Science and Technology (MCTI), Fellow 2, 2015-2018.