Professor & Extension Specialist
Ag Science, Room 24
Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2334
Moscow, ID 83844-2334
Ph.D., Washington State University, 2001
M.A., Washington State University, 1993
B.A., University of Montana, 1989
- Community-based decision-making
- Asset-based visioning and action planning
- Situation assessment
- Collaborative processes
- Strategic planning
- Qualitative and participatory research methods
- Regional cultural industries initiatives
- Community leadership development
- Ripple effects mapping evaluation
- Emery, Mary; Lorie Higgins; Scott Chazdon & Debra Hansen, 2015. Using Ripple Effect Mapping to Evaluate Program Impact: Choosing or Combining the Methods that Work Best for You, Journal of Extension, April 27 (expected publication date).
- Newman, Soren; Carroll, Matthew; Jakes, Pamela & Higgins, Lorie. 2014. Hurricanes and wildfires: Generic characteristics of community adaptive capacity, Environmental Hazards, 13(1): 21-37.
- Newman, Soren; Carroll, Matthew; Jakes, Pamela; Williams, Daniel & Higgins, Lorie, 2014. Earth, wind, and fire: Wildfire risk perceptions in a hurricane-prone environment, Society and Natural Resources, 27(11), DOI: 10.1080/08941920.2014.918234.
- Hansen, D., L. Flage, S. Chazdon, N. Paine, and L. Higgins, 2012. “Ripple Effect Mapping: A “Radiant” Way to Capture Program Impacts.” Journal of Extension, Volume 50 (5), Article # 5TOT6 (http://www.joe.org/joe/2012october/pdf/JOE_v50_5tt6.pdf).
- Barbara Cosens, Fritz Fiedler, Jan Boll, Lorie Higgins, Gary Johnson, Brian Kennedy, Eva Strand, Patrick Wilson, and Maureen Laflin, 2011. “Interdisciplinary Methods In Water Resources.” Issues in Integrative Studies, No. 29, pp. 118 – 143.
- Carroll, M., P. Jakes, and L. Higgins, 2011 “Non-Tribal Community Recovery from Wildfire Five Years Later: The Case of the Rodeo-Chediski Fire.” Society and Natural Resources 24 (7).
- Cohen, K., L. Higgins, N. Sanyal, and C. Harris, 2009 “Community Coaching: Answering the Call For Innovative Approaches to Community-Based Development Initiatives.” Journal of the Community Development Society, 39(4).
- Carroll, M.S., L.L. Higgins, P.J. Cohn, and J. Burchfield, 2006 “Community Wildfire Events as a Source of Conflict.” Rural Sociology, 71(2):261-280.
- Carroll, M.S, P.J. Cohn, D.N. Seesholtz, and L.L. Higgins, 2005 “Fire as a Galvanizing and Fragmenting Influence on Communities: The Case of the Rodeo-Chediski Fire.” Society and Natural Resources, 18(4):301-320.
- Jussaume Jr., R.A., and L.L. Higgins, 1998, “Attitudes Towards Food Safety and the Environment: A Comparison of Consumers in Japan and the U.S.” Rural Sociology, 63(3):394-411.
- Higgins, L.L. and R.A. Jussaume Jr., 1998 “The Viability of Niche Marketing Within Global Commodity Chains: An Example from Beef.” International Journal of Sociology of Agriculture and Food, 7:45-66.
- Higgins, L. and L. Lutzenhiser, 1995 “Ceremonial Equity: Low-Income Energy Assistance and the Failure of Socio-Environmental Policy.” Social Problems, 42:468-492.