Categories and Nomination Forms
Contact the committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Below are the categories and criteria for faculty and staff awards. When nominations are open, links to online nomination forms will also be available below. This year's nomination deadline is Feb. 8, 2019.
Learn About Faculty and Staff Awards
History - The Lawrence C. McBride Prize was established by private donors in 2002 to recognize exempt staff for exemplary service to the University of Idaho. This prize, the first of its kind, complements but does not replace the Outstanding Employee Awards.
Eligibility - One prize is given annually to an employee in the exempt staff category. The selection committee strongly encourages nominations of employees who perform high-level administrative support functions to departments, colleges or administrative units. Executives are not eligible. Nominees must demonstrate evidence of upward progression within the university staff community and must have been employed in their current or similar positions at the university for a minimum of five years.
Award & Presentation – The 2019 prize recipient will receive an engraved plaque and a cash award of $1500 (gross). The prize will be presented at the 2019 Staff Awards Luncheon to be held on April 22, 2019 in the International Ballroom, Pitman Center.
Criteria - Nominees for this prize should emulate as closely as possible the example that was set by retired staff member Larry McBride during his nearly 20 years of distinguished service to the university. The prize recognizes service far beyond that expected from the job description; in fact accomplishing one’s job well does not appear on the list of criteria. Selection criteria include the following descriptors: exemplary imagination, creative, can-do attitude, loyal, dedicated, supportive, enthusiastic, highest performance standards for him/herself and others, dependable and friendly.
The selection committee must receive an online submission that includes ALL of the following:
- Lawrence C. McBride Prize online nomination form.
- One nominating letter (two pages maximum length attached to the online nomination form) from any university administrator, faculty, or staff member who knows the nominee and who can speak to his/her service to the institution. This letter must provide a broad-brush description detailing the nominee’s accomplishments.
- Two supporting letters (two pages maximum length attached to the online nomination form) from other administrators, faculty, staff, students or colleagues. The supporting letters must focus on two or three specific examples of the nominee’s exemplary service.
- Professional resume of the nominee (one page in length)—should be provided by nominee to nominator.
Note: All nomination materials received by the selection committee are confidential.
History - Outstanding Employee Awards have been in existence at the University of Idaho since 1972. They began as an outgrowth of the longevity awards which are given annually to U of I staff who have been employed for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 etc. in 5 year increments. The Outstanding Employee Awards are designed to honor non-faculty staff who is believed to be outstanding by their co-workers and/or supervisors. The goal of the awards effort is to encourage more support and recognition of the staff for their dedication and hard work on behalf of the University of Idaho.
Eligibility - All non-faculty staff members on board appointment who have not received the award during the previous three years are eligible. Members of the Outstanding Employee Awards Subcommittee are not eligible.
The awards are given in the following six categories:
- Senior Leadership
- Non-Faculty Exempt
- Skilled Trades
- Administrative Assistants
Award & Presentation - Each award recipient will receive a cash award and an engraved plaque. One award of $1000 is given for every multiple of 100 staff members in each category listed above. The award will be presented at the 2018 Staff Awards Luncheon to be held on April 25, 2018 - location TBA.
Selection - Selection of Outstanding Employees will be made solely on the information provided on the nomination forms or, from nomination letters that address every criterion listed below. Selection will be made by a subcommittee of Staff Council members and past recipients of the award.
Criteria - Each nomination submission must address these four categories:
- Quality of Service
- Exceptional Effort
- Interpersonal Relationships
When considering someone for nomination, you should be familiar with their job description through contact with the nominee and their supervisor. Your submission should address those things that show an exceptional/extraordinary commitment, work ethic or job performance that makes this person truly outstanding.
History - The Outstanding Team Award was established in 2005 to honor exceptional teamwork performed by University of Idaho staff members on one-time or unique non-routine projects. In spring 2005, the Department of Geological Sciences hosted the Goldschmidt Conference on the University of Idaho Campus. It is from this conference that the endowment was established to complement but not replace the Outstanding Employee Awards sponsored by Staff Council.
- The Outstanding Team Award is available to University of Idaho staff members who have participated on a team comprised of no less than three and no more than fifteen members. Recipients should be board-appointed staff, but exceptions may be made to include temporary help employees or students if they comprise a minority of the team.
- Only teams deserving recognition for exceptional, non-routine service will be honored with this award. In some years, it is possible that no team will be selected, or even nominated.
- Team members must have played a positive and critical role in the work of the team; demonstrated creativity, collegiality, commitment to excellence of the final outcome; and worked above and beyond normal job responsibilities.
Award & Presentation - The 2019 Team Award recipients will receive a certificate and a cash award (annual endowment interest (CIT) is split between all team members). The awards will be presented at the 2019 Staff Awards Luncheon to be held on April 22, 2019, in the International Ballroom, Pitman Center.
History - Staff Council invites nominations for the Staff Education Awards for the 2018-2019 school year. These awards are given for the academic year, and a student may receive this award a maximum of two times. Recipients will be randomly selected without regard to class level or financial need. Approximately four $500 ($250/semester) scholarships will be awarded.
Eligibility - To be eligible for this award the nominee must meet all of the following:
- Be a child, stepchild, grandchild or legal dependent of a current U of I board appointed staff member* (not faculty) or honored staff retiree. Spouses of staff are not eligible.
- Have been admitted to the University of Idaho for the 2017 fall semester.
- Enrolled full-time in a minimum of 12 credits for undergraduate, 9 credits as a graduate student, 10 credits for law.
- May not have received this award in two previous years.
NOTE: The nominator must be the parent, stepparent, grandparent or legal guardian of the nominee and only one entry per nominee will be admissible.
Award & Presentation - The 2018 – 2019 recipients and their nominator will be recognized at the 2019 Staff Awards Luncheon to be held on April 22, 2019, in the International Ballrom, Pitman Center.
Contributions - Funds donated toward this award have been placed in an endowment fund where the accrued interest is available for awards. Your contributions are appreciated and help this fund to grow! Your contributions can be in the form of a payroll deduction or a one-time gift. Remember that in Idaho, there is a special income tax break for contributions to educational institutions. Make your checks payable to the U of I Foundation, Inc., and mail to Advancement Services, Campus zip 3147. Note on your check that it is for the Staff Education Award Endowment, designation code EE601.