Staff Council Membership
Have a say in the welfare and working conditions of staff.
Are you a staff member? Are you free the second Wednesday of each month from 9-11 a.m. for a Zoom meeting?
Then you can join Staff Council!
All full-time, board-appointed employees at the University of Idaho who do not have faculty status are eligible to serve on Staff Council. Staff representatives from across the university, including off-campus representatives, may serve on Staff Council.
For the purpose of selecting Staff Council members, staff are divided into two constituency groups: Exempt and Classified. Each constituency group is represented on Staff Council by one council member for every 50 group members or fraction thereof. In addition to the 50:1 ratio for each staff constituency group, a minimum of one Staff Council member should be seated for each category (post doc, maintenance/skilled craft/services and off-campus board appointed staff).
Note: If there are no current vacancies for a Staff Representative/Senator, your application will be kept on file and you will be contacted when one becomes available.
Terms are three years and run from August-July. No member may be elected to more than two consecutive terms.
All Staff Council members are subject to the following attendance and participation requirements:
- Attend monthly Staff Council meetings
- Participate on at least one committee per year or hold a staff council officer role.
- Read Staff Council By-laws.
- Attend Staff Council Retreat, if applicable.
- Represent constituents by bringing their concerns to Staff Council. Constituents are those with whom you work and may be formal or informal concerns. There will be a time during monthly meetings to bring up concerns or topics of conversations; immediate issues can be directed to Staff Council chair.
Check out the Staff Council bylaws to learn more about becoming a Staff Council member.
- Please seek approval from your supervisor.
- Once you have supervisor approval, fill out the application form.
Not ready to serve?
If you think you might want to serve on Staff Council, attend a meeting! Meetings are 9-11 a.m. on the second Wednesday of each month via Zoom in order to accommodate members and officers from across the state.
You will gain a better understanding of Staff Council and how to effect change for staff in your area. Then you will definitely want to join!
If you have any questions or comments, please email the Staff Council Executives at email@example.com.