Prior to Semester
Students who are unable to participate in classes for a semester or have decided not to attend the University of Idaho must cancel their classes before the first day of the semester to avoid tuition, fees, and a transcript showing withdrawn classes. Students can drop classes through VandalWeb, contact the Office of the Registrar, or request cancellation online. If this is the student's first semester at the University of Idaho, their admission will be cancelled. Students should remember to contact Housing and Residence Life to cancel housing contracts if they planned on living in university housing as well.
After the Semester Begins
Students who are unable to complete classes after the semester begins may drop/withdraw from their classes through VandalWeb. Students are encouraged to speak to:
- Dean of Students Office: Withdrawing from the University of Idaho is a big step. If you would like to discuss this decision with someone, a member of the Dean of Students Office would be happy to visit with you about possible resources available to you on campus if you decide to stay at U of I or help you plan a path back to the University of Idaho if you decide withdrawing is the best option at this time. Call 208-885-6757 or email email@example.com.
- Academic Advisor to review degree progress and plans for completion.
- Financial Aid to review status and determine if repayment is required.
- Student Accounts: Students who withdraw in accordance with the regulations governing withdrawals are entitled to a refund of fees and tuition based on the University's refund policy. Refunds are calculated on total tuition and fees charged. Refunds are based on the official date of withdrawal, which is considered the date the student drops their last class on VandalWeb. Applicable federal Title IV financial aid funds will be returned to the Department of Education based on statutory regulations. U of I policies and protocols regarding scholarships and institutional aid will also apply.
- University Housing: Students either within the residence halls or apartment and family housing community who withdraw from the University of Idaho must vacate their room or apartment within 72 hours of the date of withdrawal. Students will forfeit their housing deposit and depending on the date of withdraw may not qualify for any money back for the semester charges. Students must contact Housing and Residence Life immediately upon withdrawing from the University to complete the required check-out paperwork at 208-885-6571 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit their office on the second floor of Wallace Residence Center.
- Visit the Counseling and Testing Center if you need assistance with personal issues.
Students may wish to speak with these individuals and offices before making the decision to withdraw from the semester.
Students who withdraw from a semester are able to register for a subsequent semester as long as their financial obligations to the University are met.
Withdraw deadlines are as follows:
Through 10th day of semester
Drop all classes on VandalWeb. No classes or grades transcripted. Tuition and fees are refunded at 100%; financial aid is recalculated based on date withdrawal completed. Students may re-register for classes on VandalWeb through the sixth day of the semester after contacting the Office of the Registrar to request re-enrollment.
11th day — end of 2nd week following midterms
Withdraw all classes on VandalWeb. Classes and WU grades (withdrawn from university) transcripted. WU grades do not factor into GPA or affect academic standing, nor do they count toward 21-credit withdraw limit. No refund of tuition and fees; financial aid is recalculated based on date withdrawal completed.
After end of 2nd week following midterm
Student must petition Academic Petitions Committee for late withdrawal through their academic deans office. Classes and WU grades (withdrawn from university) transcripted. WU grades do not factor into GPA or affect academic standing, nor do they count toward 21-credit withdraw limit.
Hardship withdrawal is available to students who are withdrawing from ALL coursework. If you wish to withdraw from selected classes, you must complete the action in VandalWeb prior to the deadline or contact your college dean's office to complete an academic petition if the deadline has passed.
Active Military Duty
Students who are called to active military duty should refer to the Guidelines for Military Leave and contact the Office of Veteran's Affairs for assistance with the withdrawal process and their transition from the university and their return upon completion of military leave.