How to Not Freak Out (for Parents)
Sending your child off to college is the beginning of a new expedition for both of you. Here are some ideas for keeping in contact with your student and minimizing the moments the anxiety takes over.
- Create a regular time for a phone call so you can stay involved and hear all about their life at college.
- Follow U of I on social media or join/create a parent social media group with that fun couple you met at the parent sessions at Vandal Welcome.
- Sign up for the parent newsletter.
- Bookmark the parent resource website for easy access.
- Mark the calendar and get ready to come to campus for Parent and Family Weekends, football games or other special events.
- Add important university dates and deadlines to your calendar so you know when your student is coming home.
- Send care packages. You’ll love thinking about your student, and they’ll love receiving unexpected packages.
- Talk frankly with your student about career goals and become a resource for your student to lean on.
- Send letters and notes of encouragement in the mail around midterms and finals to give them an extra boost while studying.
Helpful info to keep you connected with U of I