SSS-TRIO Mentoring Program
“The experience in the mentoring program allowed me to obtain a position in education while I studied for the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam.” Daniel Salinas, Former student
The SSS-TRIO Peer Mentoring Program provides support, strategies and engagement opportunities for new incoming SSS-TRIO students. Mentors assist students in their transition to the University of Idaho’s campus by connecting them to resources, advising them on how to succeed academically, engaging in social activities, providing friendly one-on-one support, and connecting them to leadership opportunities on campus. New students who participate in the TRIO-SSS Mentoring Program benefit academically, professionally, and socially by engaging with their mentors, peers, faculty, and staff.
The University of Idaho Student Support Services-TRIO program empowers first-generation college students, low-income students and students with disabilities to explore, engage with, and meet their educational and personal goals. The SSS-TRIO Peer Mentoring Program increases retention and student involvement and also supports students as they develop the academic and soft skills necessary to be successful in college and in their careers.
- Provide assistance and direction to incoming U of I SSS-TRIO students.
- Introduce students to resources available to them at the University of Idaho and local communities.
- Support and encourage students to maintain a good academic standing and participate in institutional activities.
- Encourage team building and leadership development.
- Identify and facilitate networking activities among peer mentors and mentees.
- Increase retention and graduation rates.