TRIO Emergency Funds
TRIO Programs have existed at the University of Idaho since 1967. TRIO serves first-generation college students, students from low-income homes, students with disabilities, pre-college students whose parents did not complete college, and underrepresented students who aspire to continue to a post-baccalaureate degree program. Most of the students served by U of I TRIO programs are first-generation students from low-income homes. Many TRIO students are one emergency away from stopping out of college or deciding not to continue on to college.
If you are a University of Idaho TRIO student (college or pre-college) and are experiencing an emergency in which you need additional help to continue toward a college degree, apply now.
TRIO Emergency Funds help TRIO students when they need help the most and enable them to continue in school. If you are able to donate, please donate now.
TRIO Emergency Fund Qualifications and Process
- Must be currently enrolled at the University of Idaho in a degree program. Priority will be given to students enrolled full time but consideration will also be given to students enrolled part time.
- Must have participated in a TRIO program previously or currently participating in a TRIO program.
- Must be experiencing financial hardship resulting from an emergency or crisis and must be able to provide sufficient documentation of financial need (these can include billing statements, receipts, etc.).
- Has not received financial assistance from the TRIO Emergency Fund before (limited to one approved application per semester).
Limited Award Limit
The TRIO Emergency Fund has a funding limit of $500 . As a way to balance the current financial need with available resources, we will not be able to fully grant requests over the $500 limit.
If additional financial assistance is needed, please consider reaching out to Financial Aid at email@example.com.
Examples of Emergencies
- Homelessness due to loss of housing or threat of eviction
- Domestic violence
- Destruction of housing due to fire or natural disaster
- Theft of essential belongings
- Overdue bills (medical, rent, utility turn-off notice)
- Temporary job loss
- Unexpected medical emergency
- Death of a loved one
Examples of Financial Need
- Child Care
Examples of need that will not be considered include but are not limited to legal fees, credit card debt and previous educational debt.
Your application will be reviewed by a TRIO Review Committee and you will be notified via your Vandal email account of your status. Please allow 10 full business days for a response to your application.