Approximately six weeks after graduation, diplomas are mailed to students. When diplomas ship from the printing company, students receive an email in their VandalMail account listing the mailing date and address.
Degree, major, and academic honors will appear on the diploma. Minors and options are printed on the transcript, but not on the diploma. Diplomas measure 11 x 8.5 inches for Baccalaureate, Masters, Specialist, and Doctorate degrees, and 14 x 11 inches for Juris Doctor degrees.
If you graduate with more than one degree (e.g., B.A. and B.S.), you will receive a separate diploma for each, but if you graduate with more than one major in a single degree (e.g., B.S.Bus. Accounting and B.S.Bus. Finance), you will receive one diploma.
Students must satisfy all unpaid student account balances through the Student Accounts Office before their diploma will be mailed. Likewise, students with a Perkins Loan must complete an exit interview through the Student Loans Office before their diploma will be mailed. Your diploma will be released if you pay your balance or complete your exit interview after graduation after the Registrar is notified that you have satisfied your account.
Diploma Mailing Address Changes
The address used to mail your diploma is taken directly from your graduation application. If you change your address on VandalWeb, it will not change the diploma mailing address. If you want to change your diploma mailing address, contact Graduation Services.
You may order a replacement if your original diploma has been lost or damaged. The fee for a replacement is $30 and it takes approximately two weeks to mail. Graduates wishing to order a replacement diploma for a change of name must submit an official name change request along with documentation. Depending upon the age of the original diploma it may be signed by the incumbent university officials.
A written request must be mailed or faxed for a replacement diploma including the following information:
- Name (as it was when you graduated)
- Student ID number, if known (NOT your SSN)
- Date of birth
- Current contact information (phone & email)
- Degree received and graduation date
- Address to mail replacement diploma
- Explanation of what happened to your original diploma
- Payment (acceptable forms of payment are checks or money orders payable to Bursar, U of I or Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. Credit card payments must have the card number, expiration date, and verification code from back of card. DO NOT send cash through the mail.)