Application for Graduation: What Faculty & Staff Need to Know
- The graduation application is a paperless, electronic process in VandalWeb that uses workflow to route immediately.
- The electronic application allows the student, the advisor/major professor, and college staff to know the status of an application at any point through VandalWeb using the View Application to Graduate option under the Faculty & Advisor Student Menu.
- Undergraduate students must complete the senior survey and Graduate students must have an approved study plan before proceeding with the application.
- It is imperative that the student's curriculum information is correct when the student applies as it is captured on the application. No manual changes may be made once the application is submitted. If any corrections are required, students will be required to cancel their application and reapply. If an application is fully approved prior to a cancellation request, the application fee will not be refunded.
- All advisors listed for the student receive an automated email when the student applies for graduation. Maintaining accurate advisor records ensures emails are sent to the appropriate people.
- Undergraduate degree applications are routed to the college representative for approval. Additional approvals may be coordinated between the college representative and individual advisors or departments. Graduate degree applications are routed to the major professor for approval, and then on to the College of Graduate Studies.
- The student's account is only billed for graduation fees after approved by the Office of the Registrar. Applications can be cancelled prior to Office of the Registrar approval to allow the student to reapply.
- The student receives an automated email notification at each step of the approval process and may view their application's status in VandalWeb.
How Advisors Help Students Graduate
- Review declared curricula with your advisee and assist with any desired changes using the Change of Curriculum form before advisee applies for graduation.
- Submit substitutions/waivers as soon as possible using the Degree Audit Substitution/Waiver form.
- Maintain and update your advisee list in VandalWeb to ensure it is current.
- Follow up on communications from college/department.
- Continue to submit substitutions/waivers as soon as possible using the Degree Audit Substitution/Waiver form.
- Correct information and help student reapply if denied.
What to Do With Email Notifications
- Emails to advisors are not curriculum specific; all advisors listed for a student are notified of any graduation activity.
- Remove students from your advisee list that you no longer advise to stop email notifications.
- If the graduation application is for a different curriculum/program than you advise the student for, you may simply ignore the email.
- The email serves as notification your advisee intends to graduate and should prompt a review of the student's degree audit and contact the college representative to address any outstanding requirements.