All reporting is subject to FERPA and Idaho Public Records Law.
For information about admitted but not yet enrolled students
request through the Admissions Office
For information about current or past students, courses, or registrations
request through the Registrar's Office Student Reports
with the following information:
- The purpose of your request. Samples of any material to be distributed must be submitted with the request.
- Describe exactly the population to be selected (e.g. currently enrolled undergraduate math majors).
- Describe the information you want included on your report (e.g. name, email address, majors, primary advisor).
Requests for student data are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Requests must demonstrate a legitimate education interest and must be relevant to the academic or administrative responsibilities of the sponsoring department or organization. All student data is released for use by the requesting department only, for the purpose specified in the request. Receipt of the data indicates agreement that data obtained will not be reproduced, published, publicly posted, or used for any secondary purpose. Misuse of such data may subject requestors or their designees to civil or criminal penalties and/or University discipline.
The Office of the Registrar enforces UI Administrative procedure 65.03
including section C-2: Public Records Requests Exception: Student's education records.
Expected response time
averages five to seven business days.
University of Idaho procedures require that the Human Assurances Committee (HAC) review and approve projects involving humans. You will need to submit a copy of the HAC approval along with your requesting and acknowledge your understanding and compliance of FERPA and Idaho Public Records Law. All information you receive must be used only for the stated purpose of the research, in aggregate format only, and must not be passed onto any other person or entity. Students who have requested confidentiality of their records will not be included in the data set.
National Honor Society
In order to release student information for consideration into an honor society, please follow the following steps:
- The advisor of the honor society who is an employee of the University should request the information from the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com. The request should include the name of the honor society, what information is requested, and how the information will be used.
- The advisor will sign the Department Agreement Form on behalf of the sponsoring department and submit it to the Office of the Registrar, Attention: Student Reports.
- The Registrar will review the request and verify that the honor society is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies, and that the information requested and the use is appropriate.
- No information will be released for any student who has requested confidentiality of their records. The department will be required to obtain a signed request from the student to release any information.
The Office of the Registrar changes a flat fee of $200 (with no additional taxes) for military recruitment information. You will need to provide credit card information, including name on the card, card number, expiration date, and verification code or CSV number (from back of card), along with the fax number to send the report to before the request can be processed. You may call the Office of the Registrar with your information; please ask to speak with student reports.
Broadcast Email Requests
The University of Idaho is prohibited by Idaho Public Records Law from distributing any mailing lists without first securing the permission of those on the list, except if the purpose of the email is related to the University's educational mission.
Criteria for authorization of broadcast emails to University of Idaho students:
- The purpose of the email must be related to the University's educational mission with specific relationship to the students being contacted.
- Parameters used for selecting the student recipients should be so defined that only students who possibly might be interested will be contacted.
- The email must not be promotional, and must not appear to be advertising - even if there is no fee.
- Prohibited are sales of any kind, and anything for profit.
Service and student organizations (non-academic units) may request to have a LISTSERV created for informational messages to be sent to a specific subset of students. If your request is approved, those students will be contacted and invited to join your organization's LISTSERV. All LISTSERVs must have a University of Idaho faculty or staff member act as a moderator.
To request a LISTSERV, email firstname.lastname@example.org
with the following information:
- Your name and contact information.
- Your organization and your role within the organization.
- The criteria for selecting the subset of students you wish to reach.
- An explanation of the purpose for the organization and the LISTSERV.
- The name, phone number, and email address of the University employee who will serve as the list moderator.
- Your requested list name (e.g. CNR Students who are Left-Handed).
- Your requested list email address in department/college-group format (e.g. CNRemail@example.com).
LISTSERVs will be generated once per year upon request, for each organization. Please plan to include a means for allowing new members to join your LISTSERV via your organization's website.