Residency classification for tuition determination at the University of Idaho is governed by Idaho Statute §33-3717B
and Idaho Administrative Code 08.01.04
Initial Determination of Residency Status
When you apply to the University of Idaho, the Admissions Office determines your status as a resident or non-resident for tuition purposes based upon your application. Residency is reviewed and determined with each admission application made to the university. If you are applying to the university, or to a new program, and have questions about your residency determination, please contact the Admissions Office.
UW WWAMI Medical Certification
Upon receipt of request from UW, applicants to WWAMI program will follow the Certification of Residency process below; make sure to select the WWAMI worksheet to designate the program under Step 4. DO NOT submit worksheet prior to receiving the request for secondary application/certification from UW. Residency requirements must be met at the time certification is requested for professional programs, not 12 months prior to enrolling in the program.
WSU/WIMU Veterinary Certification
In conjunction with application to the WSU/WIMU Regional Program in Veterinary Medicine, applicants will follow the Certification of Residency process below; make sure to select the WSU worksheet to designate the program under Step 4. Residency requirements must be met at the time certification is requested for professional programs, not 12 months prior to enrolling in the program.
Requesting a Change or Certification of Residency
A student who wishes to prove or certify Idaho residency for tuition purposes and present an application for review must follow each of these steps:
STEP 1: Establish PATHWAY to Idaho Residency
Pathways to Idaho Residency
There are many pathways under which a student may follow to qualify as an Idaho resident for tuition purposes. Although students may qualify under multiple pathways, it is suggested to determine the ONE pathway that best describes the situation of the student and ensure that all conditions under that selected pathway are met. Also make sure to review the Important Definitions for notations.
- Dependent Student: One or more parent(s)/legal guardian(s) of the student is domiciled in the state of Idaho and provides at least 50% of the student's financial support [e.g. student claimed as tax dependent]. The parent(s)/legal guardian(s) must have maintained a bona fide domicile** in the state of Idaho for at least 12 months prior to the semester in which the student is applying for residency.
- Parent/guardian must demonstrate establishment of Idaho domicile in Step 2.
- Independent Student: The student receives less than 50% financial support from their parent(s)/legal guardian(s) [i.e. not claimed as tax dependent] and has continuously resided*** in and maintained a bona fide domicile** in Idaho primarily for purposes other than education**** for at least 12 months prior to the semester in which the student is applying for residency.
- Student must demonstrate establishment of Idaho domicile in Step 2.
- Graduate of Idaho High School: Any student, who does not meet the definition of non-resident student*, who is a graduate from an accredited Idaho high school, and during the term immediately following graduation enrolls in an Idaho college or university. For medial and veterinary program certification, this option only applies if the student (i) graduated from an accredited Idaho high school, (ii) immediately following graduation enrolls in an Idaho college or university as a resident student, and (iii) has continued to be and is presently enrolled in an Idaho college or university as a resident student.
- Student must demonstrate continuous enrollment in an Idaho college or university as a resident student.
- Married to an Idaho Resident: Any student who is married to a person who is classified, or eligible for classification, as an Idaho resident for the purpose of attending an Idaho college or university.
- Spouse must demonstrate establishment of Idaho domicile in Step 2 or be classified as a continuing resident student at an Idaho college or university.
- Armed Forces: Any independent student, spouse, or parent/guardian of a dependent student who meets one of the following criteria:
a. Member of Armed Forces***** who entered service as an Idaho resident, has maintained Idaho resident status, but is stationed outside of Idaho on military orders.
b. Member of Armed Forces***** stationed in Idaho on military orders.
c. Officer or enlisted member of the Idaho National Guard.
d. Member who has been separated under honorable conditions after at least 2 years of service and enters an Idaho college or university within 1 year of separation date:
- Who at the time of separation designated Idaho as intended domicile or
- Who listed Idaho as home of record in service or
- Who moves to Idaho for purposes of establishing domicile; provided, however to maintain such status as resident student, must actively establish domicile in Idaho within 1 year of enrollment at an Idaho college or university.
- Student Away from Idaho: A student who continuously resided and was domiciled in Idaho for at least 12 months immediate prior to departure from Idaho, has been away from Idaho less than 30 months not including time spent at a postsecondary institution outside of, and has not established legal residence elsewhere.
- Student must (i) demonstrate establishment of Idaho domicile for at least 12 months prior to leaving Idaho in Step 2, (ii) provide evidence to show that the student has maintained Idaho domicile after leaving the state, and (iii) provide evidence that the student has not established legal residence outside of Idaho.
- Member of Native American Tribe: Any student who is a member of the following tribes: (i) Coeur d'Alene; (ii)Shoshone-Paiute; (iii) Nez Perce; (iv) Shoshone-Bannock; (v) Kootenai; or (vi) Eastern Shoshone.
**Bona Fide Domicile
- A student who does not qualify under any of the pathways.
- A student attending an Idaho institution with financial assistance provided by another state or governmental entity thereof. NOTE: WUE is classified as such financial assistance and therefore is a disqualifying factor for Idaho residency.
- A person who is not a US citizen, permanent resident, or holds "refugee-parolee" or "conditional entrant" status with United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS), or otherwise residing in the US under color of law.
is the individual's permanent home; the place where they intend to remain and expect to return to when leaving without establishing a new domicile elsewhere.
consists of physical presence in the state of Idaho for 12 consecutive months without absences totaling more than 30 days.
****Primarily for Education Purposes
is defined by the student being enrolled in more than 8 credit hours any semester during the past 12 months. This can be overridden
by proving establishment of Idaho domicile.
means United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps
, Coast Guard, and Idaho National Guard; it does not include National Guard from other states or other reserve forces.
STEP 2: Satisfy Requirements for Establishing IDAHO DOMICILE
Establishing Idaho Domicile
Once the Pathway has been established, the individual on whom Idaho residency is based (student, spouse, parent/guardian) must have met at least ONE of the following four criteria for at least 12 months prior to the opening day of the semester
for which residency is being requested. Questions regarding all factors will be asked on the application and the information will be reviewed to determine that at least minimum qualifications are met.
Students applying under the Student Away from Idaho
pathway must demonstrate Idaho domicile was established 12 months prior to leaving the state and that it has been maintained.
1. Filing a full-year resident Idaho state income tax return (must be most current tax year filed; return must have been accepted by Idaho State Tax Commission
2. Maintained permanent, full-time (40+ hours/week) employment in the state of Idaho for at least 12 months; OR
3. Student has owned his/her own living quarters for at least 12 months (this factor applies only to Pathways where domicile is based on the student
4. Establishing a minimum of 5 of the following factors; each factor must be established for at least 12 months prior to the opening day of the semester
which the student is applying for residency:
- Registration of motor vehicle(s) in Idaho;
- Registration to vote in Idaho;
- Holding an Idaho driver's license or Idaho state-issued ID card;
- Evidence of abandonment of previous domicile;
- Presence of household goods in Idaho (resident halls or Greek housing does not qualify);
- Establishment of accounts with Idaho financial institutions;
- Other similar factors indicating intent to be domiciled in Idaho and maintenance of such domicile; factors may include (i) enrollment of dependent children in Idaho primary or secondary public schools, (ii) acceptance of permanent employment in Idaho, (iii) documentation of need to be caregiver for relative in Idaho.
STEP 3: Provide Required Supporting DOCUMENTATION
Required Supporting Documentation
Documentation is required to support all Pathway and
Domicile criteria described in Steps 1 and 2. Copy your documents and retain your original copies as they will not be returned. Applicants may be asked to supply additional documentation, if necessary, after initial review of their worksheet. ALL
documentation must be for the person on whom residency is being based (student, spouse, parent/guardian).
- Dependent Student: Parent guardian provides 50% or more of the student's financial support
- Parent/guardian current tax returning showing student claimed as dependent; or
- Entire financial records showing parent/guardian financial support exceeds 50% of student finances.
- Independent Student: Parent/guardian provides less than 50% of the student's financial support
- Parent/guardian current tax return showing student not claimed as dependent; or
- Entire financial records showing parent/guardian financial support is less than 50% of the student's finances.
- Graduate of Idaho High School:
- High school transcript showing graduation date and college transcript showing full enrollment period.
- Married to an Idaho Resident:
- Marriage certificate; and
- Documentation to support domicile factors below, if spouse is not a current resident student at an Idaho college or university.
- Armed Forces:
- Stationed Outside of Idaho: military orders and Form DD1966 or Form DD4 or Leave and Earnings Statement.
- Stationed in Idaho: military orders.
- Idaho National Guard: Form DD 4/2, parts D and E.
- Separated from Military: Member 4 copy of DD214.
- Dependents must also demonstrate evidence of financial support by parent/guardian tax return showing student claimed as dependent or entire financial records showing parent/guardian support exceeds 50% of student finances.
- Student Away from Idaho:
- Documentation to support establishment of domicile factors for at least 12 months prior to leaving Idaho; and
- Documentation to support continued maintenance of domicile factors below during absence from Idaho; and
- If enrolled in college outside of Idaho, unofficial transcript and billing statements or certification from school indicating type of tuition paid (resident or non-resident). (1098T Tuition Statements DO NOT demonstrate type of tuiton paid or classification.)
- Member of Native American Tribe:
- Tribal membership card or papers.
Students must provide the following documentation to prove domicile for the person on whom residency is based (student, spouse, parent/guardian).
- Idaho Resident Tax Return:
- Idaho State tax return form 40; AND
- Federal tax return form 1040 filed with Idaho return; AND
- Idaho efile acceptance notice (see samples from various vendors) or copy of original mailed signed and dated tax return.
- DO NOT include copies of supplemental schedules or forms, or W2 forms.
- The worksheet asks for the past two years of tax information; please include both if filed, even though the minimum is one year resident tax return.
- Full-Time Employment:
- Summary report validating number of hours worked each payroll period for past 12 months; or
- Current pay stub AND pay stub from 12 months ago as long as employment has been continuous 40+ hours per week over entire year;
- Pay stubs must show hours worked and full payroll date range (weekly, biweekly, monthly, etc.)
- Salary or pay is NOT demonstration of hours worked nor does a W2 form demonstrate hours worked; documentation must have hours worked.
- Student Home Ownership:
- Deed of sale or purchase agreement.
- Minimum Five Factors:
- Vehicle Registration: current Idaho registration (NOT Certificate of Title).
- Voter Registration: copy of voter registration card certified by county as received or record from Voter Registration Office confirming date of registration (NOT poll location card or Idaho Votes record as does not demonstrate date of registration).
- Driver's License/State ID: current Idaho driver's license or state ID card.
- Abandonment of Domicile: deed of sale of prior home; or move-out statement from prior rental agency; or moving expenses bill (self or professional movers)
- Household Goods: lease agreement covering minimum of 12 months and is current; or property tax statement covering minimum 12 months.
- Financial Accounts: current bank statement and bank statement from 12 months ago from same account; NOT credit card statements (bank statements must have account holder's address).
- Other Factors: (i) school verification of enrollment dates of child; (ii) employment offer letter or contract; (iii) letter from physician confirming care requirements for relative.
STEP 4: Complete State of Idaho Residency Determination WORKSHEET
Residency Determination Worksheet
Print the appropriate State of Idaho Residency Determination Worksheet. Carefully read and follow the instructions for each question. The worksheet provides the way in which to describe the individual situation of the student and the documentation supports the factors described on the worksheet.
The State of Idaho Residency Determination Worksheet with copies of all required documentation must be submitted either in-person or by postal mail; the original notarized worksheet is required. The student must have his/her signature notarized, and if residency is based on another person (spouse or parent/guardian), that individual must also have their signature notarized. Notary service is available in the Registrar's Office.
Applications are accepted for Fall semester starting in AUGUST and for Spring semester starting in DECEMBER. Residency is not reviewed for Summer as non-resident tuition is not charged. The deadline for submission is the 10th day of the semester, however all qualifications must have been met before the first day of the semester.
UW Medical and WSU Veterinary certifications must meet qualifications at the time of certification; deadline for receipt certification is set by UW and WSU respectively. Certifications for UW WWAMI will automatically be forwarded to University of Utah School of Medicine through Idaho State University; applicants do not need to certify separately. The Semester and year seeking residency on the worksheet should be designated as the term of entry into the program (e.g. Fall 2015), not the term certification is being sought.
Students will be emailed a decision within 2-3 business days after submission of their complete application. UI students must use VandalMail.
Please carefully review all requirements and State of Idaho Residency Determination Worksheet Instructions
prior to completing worksheet. Not all documentation requirements are detailed on the worksheet itself, please review Step 3 above.
University of Idaho
Office of the Registrar
875 Perimeter Drive MS 4260
Moscow, ID 83844-4260
When requesting a change or certification of residency, the burden of proof rests with the individual to provide clear and convincing evidence of Idaho residency. Residency is not reviewed or changed for continuing students without a complete application. Application does not guarantee classification as a resident for tuition purposes.
The deadline for submission of all materials is the 10th day of the semester. Medical and veterinary certifications must meet all qualifications for Idaho residency at the time of application; deadline for certification is set by UW and WSU respectively.