VandalStar is a tool to help you connect and thrive personally and academically at U of I. It is a system platform designed to provide you a centralized, online location to connect to people who care (U of I faculty and staff) and services to help you achieve your academic goals.
It is a go-to place for students where you belong. It offers online appointment scheduling, a place to connect with your campus, a way to get timely help you when you need it most (from your instructors, advisors, and others like tutors and academic coaches) and a searchable, campus-wide services listing featuring over 45 services and programs in one location.
If you need help or have questions, please contact the VandalStar Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-885-8787.
For Remote Students
Go to vandalstar.uidaho.edu and log in with your university provided email and password. You can create your Profile and customize your system settings after that. You will need your DUO device to complete multifactor authentication.
You can view upcoming VandalStar-scheduled appointments on your dashboard and home page. The Student User Guide includes step-by-step instructions with screenshots, for students who like a visual guide.
- Click on My Success Network or Courses.
- Select the person you want to schedule an appointment with (U of I faculty or staff).
- Click blue Schedule Appointment button (to schedule with faculty and staff who have this feature set-up in VandalStar). Note: if the person you want to schedule with does not have a blue Schedule Appointment button, this means you will need to contact this person via email or phone to schedule an appointment.
- Select appointment reason by clicking the arrow at the far-right side of the page.
- Select appointment topic. Click blue Continue button.
- Select appointment day and time. Click blue Continue button.
- Choose a location (if applicable) and make edits if needed; add pre-meeting message (optional).
- Click blue Confirm button at bottom of page to submit.
- You will receive an email appointment confirmation. You can also choose to receive an email reminder. To set-up this feature, click your name on the main drop-down menu > Profile > fill out “Reminder Preferences” boxes.
- You can view upcoming scheduled appointments on your VandalStar homepage and dashboard.
Find your instructors, advisors, counselors, and key university support here. These U of I faculty and staff are here to help you make academic progress. Connect with them by Zoom, phone, email, and in person based on their preferences.
- Click My Success Network from the main drop-down menu to display your personalized network.
- Under Your Connections, you will see instructors, advisors, counselors and other campus people who are available to assist you.
- For each person listed, you will find contact information, and if online scheduling is available, a blue Schedule Appointment button will show.
You can request help from your instructor and advisor and connect to tutoring and academic coaching services any time during the school year. This is a timely way to let others know you need support.
- Click on Raise Your Hand from the main drop-down menu.
- Fill out the three areas on the page. You will be asked to provide additional information such as the type of help you are requesting, the related course (if applicable), and a description.
- We encourage you to make your description as detailed as possible to ensure you get immediate, appropriate assistance. Click Submit when finished.
- You will then be contacted. Please note that this feature is not monitored 24 hours a day and should not be used for emergency situations.
There are over 45 different listings with quick contact information, business hours, and service overviews. You can search for a service or key word in the search bar or scroll through the list of available services. For each service, you will see website URLs, appointment scheduling info, phone, email, and Zoom (if available) details.
- Go to your main menu and click on My Success Network. Your instructors, advisors, counselors, career services, and other staff will be listed here in your personal My Success Network.
- Scroll down the page. Click the Show Other Services button to browse other university services, and programs.
VandalStar can be accessed through the following link using your Single Sign On and Duo information: vandalstar.uidaho.edu.
To set up your profile, log in to VandalStar and click on the drop-down menu on the left side of the screen. Select Profile. From here, you can customize your profile by setting appointment reminders and adding email preferences.
Once you have made your desired changes to your profile, click the Submit button to save your updates.
The Messages tab will display the content of email messages sent to you through VandalStar.
Click Courses from the main drop-down menu to display information about courses you are enrolled in as well as contacts and available support related to each. Like the My Success Network, it is personalized to show the people and services specific to the courses you are taking, and gives you the ability to make an appointment or request help related to a course.
The purpose of VandalStar is to give you immediate information, to connect you to instructors, advisors, and key campus staff for support, and to guide you to academic services when you might need them. VandalStar gives you the ability to engage more effectively with the Vandal campus community and ultimately achieve your academic goals.
- Connect to your Personalized Success Network — VandalStar is all about connecting you to your Success Network and your network being there for you. Who is your Success Network? It’s all the people at U of I dedicated to helping you succeed both in and out of the classroom: advisors, professors, tutors, coaches, support programs and more!
- Online Appointment Scheduling — You initiate and direct. No more sending email back and forth! With VandalStar convenient scheduling, you are in the driver’s seat in setting up appointments with your Success Network and other campus programs anytime, anyplace, and on any digital device. It makes it fast and easy and you also receive email confirmations and appointment reminders.
- Raise Your Hand — Request help. Have a question? Ask instructors, advisors, tutors, and academic coaches through VandalStar! You choose when and if this is done.
- Stay Informed About Your Academics — You’ll see flags, kudos, and sometimes even messages from your professors and advisors about your academic progress. This keeps you in the know. A kudo lets you know when you’re doing great. A flag is a reminder to take action and connect with your support network or resources.
- Simply put – VandalStar is a tool to help you connect and thrive personally and academically at U of I. Your success matters and we're here for you.
- All VandalStar student information is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Protection Act (FERPA). Your personal and academic information is confidential and not accessible except to those employees on who are serving you as a student.
- Most VandalStar alerts (flags and kudos) are viewable by you, the faculty or staff member who added them to your VandalStar account and only accessible if a U of I employee has authorization to be associated with the alert.
- These alerts are meant to connect Your Success Network with the common goal of ensuring your academic success and give you timely help.