Data Science Certificate
This certificate is intended to train students to manage and analyze data, and interpret results from data analyses, particularly from large data sets. The certificate leverages the expertise from faculty in several units to give students a strong interdisciplinary background in this emerging area.
Requirements for the Data Science Certificate are found in the U of I Catalog. Credits to total 12 for this graduate academic certificate. At least half of the credits must be at the graduate level (500-level). Course offerings and availability may vary. Please contact the department with any questions (email@example.com).
Please note: The Data Science Certificate cannot be completed online.
This certificate is developed for graduate students majoring in disciplines other than statistics who wish to show a competency in statistics. Students are not required to be actively pursuing a graduate degree in order to participate in the certificate program, but must satisfy graduate admission requirements at the University of Idaho. This certificate program is available on-campus or online via Engineering Outreach (EO), the distance education arm of the University of Idaho, or via a combination of on-campus and online.
The certificate program is designed to give the student a background in the statistical methods applicable to their major field of study. When planning coursework toward the certificate, students should see the certificate coordinator in the Department of Statistical Sciences to ensure the courses chosen will meet the student's professional objectives.
Requirements for the Statistics Certificate are found in the U of I Catalog. Credits to total 12 for this graduate academic certificate. At least half of the credits must be at the graduate level (500-level). Course offerings and availability may vary. Please contact the department with any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Statistics Certificate can be completed online.
Prerequisites for both certificates
- Stat 431 Statistical Analysis or an equivalent course.
- For the Data Science Certificate: Experience with statistical software or programming equivalent to the background of a student completing Stat 431.
Applying to a Certificate Program
- Students admitted to the Graduate School at the University of Idaho must submit the Academic Certificate Declaration on page 2 of the Change of Curriculum form to the certificate coordinator for department chair approval.
- To apply for the program as a stand-alone certificate please apply online through Graduate Admissions. You will be required to submit transcripts showing a minimum of a 3.0 GPA for your undergraduate degree.
- Graduate Academic Certificate requirements can be viewed in Section O-10-b of the U of I Catalog.
- Certificate programs follow the policies and procedures for a Graduate Academic Certificate.
For more information, email the Department of Mathematics and Statistical Science.
Students interested in employment in statistics should consider studying for an M.S. degree in Statistics.